Box Named Women’s Basketball Head Coach

I should also mention Box said at the presser that while he wants support from students, fans etc, he realizes it is up to them to put a product on the court people want to see. I think he referred to it as a “pretty product” or something like that. I appreciated how he didn’t put the onus on the fans first, but rather the onus is on them the staff.

1 Like

If you read what I wrote I said that I understand why a President would not routinely be involved in the hiring, interview process of a woman’s basketball coach.

However, we are coming off a situation that is hardly routine. It is the worst national PR Miami has gotten in a long time. I would think the President would want to be a little more involved in who is charged with fixing the mess that was left.

Delegation is great. However, where did the delegation end up with the last hire? In addition, how long were the shenanigans going on and the AD apparently had no clue?

3 Likes

If I am Greg Crawford there is no way I am not involved in this process for this particular hire. Absolutely he should be involved.

3 Likes

I doubt seriously whether Miami will be parting ways with an AD who was just named to the national playoff committee for football - particularly over a scandal involving the now departed women’s basketball and a student athlete. I do agree with MotherM that we should recruit the best we can get in all sports and aim for national recognition for our programs - not just MAC championships.

1 Like

Just curious. Sayler has been here for 11 years. In recent time, Dick Shrider was AD for 24 years following his time as MBB head coach. Has anyone else been AD longer than Sayler?

Maybe Darrell?

1 Like

All I will say is that Miami needs to clean up/ tighten up (or any other phrases you’d care to use) its administrative executive staff----AD, Pres. for starters. Too much loosey-goosey stuff going on.

1 Like

Hedric was never the AD.

1 Like

Actually, Darrell was the interim AD after RC Johnson left, but only for a year or two. Since Bates was only at Miami for 10 years, it would appear that Saylor is now the 2nd longest tenured AD after Shrider. That said, I wouldn’t mind his tenure ending sooner rather than later!

1 Like

I think he’s done some good in terms of fundraising. Say what you want about some of his hires flaming out, but some have done well. Chuck is a solid hire. Won a MAC and a bowl. Maybe he has an improvement this year. Softball hire is great. More MAC’s than any other coach in program history. Field Hockey is exceptional. Mrn’s track and cross country is very good. Won a MAC. I think Steele is gonna be great. Megan was and I think Box could even be better than her. I’m probably in the minority but I have flashbacks to when our AD was dreadful so maybe my opinion is biased.

3 Likes

“ some good in fundraising”?
Compare athletic facilities today vs 11 years ago.This may be his forte’,and an important one.

2 Likes

Maybe he’s a good fundraiser, or maybe that’s part of his job. His longevity also has to do with working for a board and for presidents whose attention and interest has been elsewhere.

Hopefully he hires colleen day Henderson as an assistant

I think we should all let CDH speculation be and support the current coach and whomever he hires for his staff

5 Likes

Sayler is a great fundraiser and used that experience to get to Miami fairly quickly. I imagine he envisioned his career path would continue upward based on the his skill. His major sport coaching hires have held him back (and kept him at Miami). Brad Bates was fired at BC for an inability to make good hires! He’s probably content at Miami, as AD’s are increasingly being tabbed based on business acumen, media, etc, as the game has changed. He could leave, but it would be closer to a lateral move. I don’t see a major conference school hiring him as AD.

I really think it is a shame how often I see people try to shut down discussion on this board just because the opinions vary from their own.

1 Like

The only person who can shut down discussion here is Jive. If someone says “I think we should move on from X,” you’re free to keep talking about X. No one is stopping you.

2 Likes

I find it amusing the floggings given to dead horses on this board

Despite all of our major teams being generally terrible during nearly his entire tenure, Sayler has always gotten a free pass because “he is a good fundraiser.” I acknowledge that he is a better fundraiser than Bates, but Bates was a terrible fundraiser.

I’m genuinely curious, how much money has Sayler raised compared to his MAC peers? Would love to see some data on this.

1 Like

Well I am glad you find things to amuse you on this board.