Box Named Women’s Basketball Head Coach

3 Likes

Great hire! Best option IMO.

1 Like

And his favorite defense is….

1 Like

A box and one.

4 Likes

According to IU open salary records, Box was paid $206,214.95 in 2021.

I do like the fact that he has MAC coaching experience with a MAC champ. He has a lot to do very quickly, especially talking to the girls in the transfer portal and the remaining signed commits, plus going after transfer portal girls, not to mention building a staff, taking to the few remaining girls on the roster, buying a house and moving. Other than permanent ally moving, everything else needed to be done yesterday.

1 Like

Here is a suggestion, since certain people were so opposed to Colleen Day Henderson as HC. Hire her as the AHC. So then when Box is successful and leaves, Colleen is groomed for the position. Obviously that is Box’s decision, not mine, but that is my suggestion in filling out his staff.

10 Likes

I just made this same suggestion on twitter.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t a head coach be able to name his own staff?

3 Likes

And who said he can’t? It is a suggestion on a message board and/or Twitter. Nothing more. I have not handed down a mandate. Damn.

3 Likes

The good old boys club to the rescue. Miami had the opportunity to hire a legacy coach who bleeds Miami while this new coach will look to make a quick exit if he can rebuild the program.

I am disgusted in this type of thinking by the AD.

2 Likes

What makes you think a legacy wouldn’t bolt? Big assumptions you’re making about someone else’s career. Especially with all the evidence that pretty much every legacy coach has left.

2 Likes

Great hire!

1 Like

Blues, everyone knows you are the ones pulling the strings at the athletic department! :laughing:

They should of hired collen day Henderson

4 Likes

I’m curious (and have no insight as to the true answer here), what makes those of you so angry about this hire think that CDH was NOT contacted, pursued, or maybe even interviewed? I can easily imagine she was high on the list of possibilities and may well have been one of David Sayler’s top choices, but declined the opportunity, wanted a better contract language than we could give, or received even a better prospect of employment elsewhere. I know some of us are disappointed that our wished-for hire didn’t materialize; I’m only suggesting that it is possible Coach Box rose to the top of the list due to circumstances none of us know anything about. I’m onboard with this new coach and wish him nothing but success.

6 Likes

Good old boys?

Disgusted?

My word. This was a great hire. His staff hires should be interesting.

3 Likes

So if you don’t hire a woman, it’s the good old boys club at work?

It’s anachronistic wording in this case, but wouldn’t the “good old boys club” move be to hire CDH? Hiring someone with a bunch of connections at the university who’s personally popular among alums/boosters, but with a resume that would never even put them in consideration absent those connections?

4 Likes

Sounds like a good hire. The proof will be on the court. I really, really hope this works.

Unless I am missing something, no one has said that Colleen was even interested in the job. Does anyone even know if she was in the mix? Does anyone know if she was interviewed?

Go forth and recruit.

1 Like