Bobcats

OU put on a clinic in the 1st half. They shot 53%, 8/18 from 3. They had 12 assists vs. 3 turnovers. Sears had 8 assists. Vander Plas had been struggling from the 3, but he got his elixir in the form of our porous 3 point shooting defense, letting him walk into open 3s.

Meanwhile, we had 1 assist vs. 9 turnovers. OU isn’t playing “pressure defense”. They’re playing good, solid defense, and we’re obliging with some of our nonexistent ball movement and bad decision-making. Defensively, besides leaving shooters open, we’re not doing something you learn in elementary school: stop the ball first in transition!

OU knows how to play high-level basketball consistently and we show flashes, at best. Disappointing 1st half.

It seems like we’ve gotten the step on them a few times, but the help defense comes so quick and we’ve been too slow/sloppy passing out of it to take advantage.

1 Like

I’m not sure, but I think this has the potential to get a bit ugly. We walk it up to the 3 point, look both ways and just Jack it. Clang and get back on D. Rinse and repeat…

1 Like

Oof

We will be 2-4 vs division 1 teams at home after tonight

At the game. Utter domination in all phases of the game. UGLY!!

1 Like

Anybody still watching?

1 Like

There is no doubt in my mine that the 3 best players in the game are Sears, Vandeplaus and Carter. Hard to overcome those odds

Not much longer!

1 Like

Since March 2015, we’ve beaten Ohio just twice. This would be the third time in that time frame where they’ve beaten us by 30+.

1 Like

Just no offensive discipline whatsoever. We could really use a pass first point guard.

Back to Love After Lockup.

2 Likes

Jive, I’m usually with you on your opinions, but not on “stellar” defensive play. Per KenPom:

Defensive efficiency: 2020: 276th; 2021: 234th; 2022: 252nd (and we were in that range pre-COVID shutdown). We were in the top half of Division 1 in 2018 and 2019, but who did we have then. Ringo, an unbelievable steal generator, and some guy with the name of Adaway who’s playing really well at St. Bonaventure.

Effective field goal percentage defense rankings (2020-22): 284, 247, 222
3 point field goal percentage defense: 301, 252, 316
Percentage of possessions that force turnovers: 229, 211, 288
And I could go on. We’re a bordering on bad defensive team, hanging onto below average.

2 Likes

The post game summary will probably read “Bobcats edge RedHawks in Battle of the Bricks”

2 Likes

I think they will use “top” over “edge”

2 Likes

I will say, OU’s on ball defense is a thing of beauty to watch.

2 Likes

OU’s foot off MU’s throat…Please do not tell us that Miami came back strong in second half…that is 110% inaccurate if it’s spewed.

2 Likes

Bobcats could have won it by 40.

So where do we go from here?

1 Like

Let me try to figure this out. We have no offensive discipline and our defense is proven to be statistically poor. We do turn the ball over occasionally but with few assists. Wait, I get it. That’s why some fans are negative

Best comment-watch the Bobkittens defense. Yep, please do. (We are easy to guard though).

1 Like