BG men at Miami 7:00 Tuesday…ESPN+

Miami is. 8-8 (2-2). 6-2 at home. Bowling Green is 12-4 (3-1). 2-2 in true road games. If we win, we tie them at 3-2. BG hired Todd Simon (Last 7 years he was Head Coach at division 1 Southern Utah) as their new coach last Spring and he has for the most part rebuilt their roster. In their most recent game they won over NIU with a career high of 24 points by Sr Rashaun Agee,who averages 12 points and 8 rebounds per game. 6-4 Jr Marcus Hill is averaging 20 ppg and 4 steals. 7 footer Jason Spurgeon averages a double double with 10 rebounds and 10 assists. Da’Shaun Phillips averages 12 ppg.

Having already lost to 4-0 WM and 4-0 Toledo, this becomes a very big game for us. I really think we are capable of finishing up near the top this year, but injuries to both our point guards and Morris kind of led to those Losses two top teams. I think winning both games this week would be a statement and would start to get some attention from people outside our core group. We certainly are capable of winning both games this week. BG is also a hungry team.

3 Likes

And, also, BGSUcks.

How has BG only played 4 road games?

Have to think this comes down to our ability to keep Agee off the boards. He’s one of the best offensive rebounders in the conference and BG has been getting over 13 second-chance points per game in conference play. On the bright side, Miami’s defensive rebounding has gone from really bad to pretty average in conference play. Miami also has been holding onto the ball and rarely giving live-ball turnovers away. Towns hasn’t played in any conference games so far, but it sounds like he’s close to returning. They have 2 other players out for the season. So far they’ve had to play most conference games with 7.

Crazy stat - BG has been drawing nearly 23 fouls/game.

3 games at a neutral event in Canada and two lower-division home games in the OOC (against a D2 school and a NAIA school)

2 Likes

They also haven’t played a single buy game. They had a wealthy donor leave behind a large endowment that goes to coaching salary and scheduling.

This guy? (NOTE: he’s not really dead)

1 Like

I know it’s a joke, but here’s the info for those interested:

$15mil to BG basketball equating to ~$675,000/yr.

1 Like

I don’t get the joke.

I don’t either. This is from the article in a quote from Frack, the donor:

Frack said that is exactly what he had in mind. “If Butler and Gonzaga can do it, Bowling Green can do it,” he said. “I want to provide the resources to take Falcon basketball to the next level.”

Watching a little of their game against Akron, this was not the same BG as seen in under Huger. They played tough, actually trying on defense. They’re bigger, wanting to attack the rim. They spread the floor offensively. Hill dominates the ball. They’re not as good of a shooting team.

Dick, as you know, I am a fair weather fan as to Miami basketball. But what I saw on Saturday really encouraged me. I know we were not playing top of the MAC competition, but I thought they played hard and your man Bultman had a very good game, as did the kid from Taft H.S. in Cincinnati. I plan on coming back on the 27th (if the weather permits-I told you I was fair weather :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tonight will be a test for Potter. I’m loving how aggressive and assertive he is but I want him to be more of a rim protector (that will come in time when he gets stronger).

In short, we win tonight.

2 Likes

https://www.ay-ziggy-zoomba.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36903

Thread from BG. They’re missing some info on Potter in there. Still unsure if Towns will play or not.

1 Like

Potter has been really impressive. Few mid-major big men come in and play a meaningful role as freshmen. Fewer do it after missing practice for the first third of the season. Each game he’s looking better and better.

3 Likes

Wow. I have to turn my sound bar all the way up to 35 to hear the broadcast audio.

2 Likes

Rough start, but sticking around. BG has had rough second halfs because of their injuries. BG playing exceptionally tight defense.

1 Like

Freshman looking better, BGSU has been hot and playing good defense. I think we can still make this a game though.

Spurgeon has to be pushing 45 years old. Moves pretty good for having both knees and hips replaced.

3 Likes

No kidding!

1 Like