BG Game Week 2023

During the broadcast Herbstreit said Miami’s OL was the best in the state of Ohio.

3 Likes

The 2003 Miami team was the best team I have ever seen in the MAC. Caveat-I never saw the Miami teams from 1973-1975. So from 1983 to the present. 2003 Miami team best I have seen in the MAC. That team had no weaknesses. I also have every game of that season on DVD.

3 Likes

That was my favorite day on Hawktalk ever. All afternoon posters were signing off to make the drive to BG. Anticipation like we haven’t seen enough lately.

1 Like

One of the best football nights of my life. The field was in horrible shape. My wife and I walked out onto it post game and wondered how our players could be so quick on such garbage.

3 Likes

There aren’t many times when visiting fans get to rush an opposing team’s field. I’m surprised we were actually able to get away with that.

That was when BG’s field was just pure mud (there was speculation they covered what they could earlier that year with green paint just so it wouldn’t look entirely brown) and the field workers covered the goal posts with Crisco to prevent the students from climbing them and tearing them down. Needless to say, BG students never had that chance that night.

And the muddy field truly became nationally-known three years later during a game featuring much, much lower stakes.

1 Like

How much would you charge for a copy of those games? :flushed:

2 Likes

It happened twice that year… It was a weeknight game in December and it snowed for awhile.

1 Like

Interesting! I totally must have forgotten that. Looks clear in the pics but I guess hard to tell

I took a bus from campus up to the game. I was there on the 50 yard line, 11 rows up from the Miami bench. Temperature was around freezing. It was icing the whole game. Myself, and everyone around me, were covered in ice and the boys kept on punching it home. It was cold but damn, I wouldn’t change one thing that night. What a fun time!

Got back to Oxford around 2am on Friday and Uptown was quiet by then. Got home and went to bed. Got to the office around 10:30am and met everyone for lunch upstairs around noon and they had the tape of the game going. When Robinson scored on that first touchdown pass, one of my colleagues who also was with all of us at the game the night before, was sitting next to me at the lunch table and she said, “Wasn’t that so much fun last night?” Damn right it was.

2 Likes

Now that is a story. I swear we could write a book that would actually make money for MU athletics just with the stories from
Forum members. I’m dead serious here.

You mean this game?

3 Likes

I remember watching the MAC Championship and the mud bowl from my nice warm dry family room as I had work in the morning. The kicker wiping out at the end is still one of the funniest things I’ve seen at a Miami game.

The regular season game against BG in 2003 was the best crowd with so much excitement. We were in the student section and it was standing room only.

What they did not show was that after BG missed that field goal, most of our defensive players sprinted down the field and dived and slid about 20 yards. I think linebacker Joey Hudson slid the farthest, lol

I also have a confession to make about that game. Two days before the game I got a phone call from Jude asking me ( since I lived up that way and they had an extra spot) if I would like to spend the game in the pressbox. What a perfect game to be inside with warmth, dryness, drinks and snacks. I felt sorry for those who sat outside, but I was comfy.

2 Likes

We gotta find a way to record these stories. They are just great and I think others would enjoy them

I want the section about our group going to Alaska for hockey. The part about Chuck’s massive hangover would sell.

3 Likes

Weather should be just fine tomorrow @ 3:30. Sunshine and about 60 at kickoff.

Let’s keep it rolling and feed off the family weekend crowd.

2 Likes

Looking at Miami ticket availability it looks like the Visitors Section in Yager is still the two southernmost sections of the West side. Those sections are almost sold out. The small section someone mentioned on the East side doesn’t appear to be a designated visitor section. Might be lots of BG pumpkins there on Saturday.

Rocky Boiman sucks too.

1 Like

You take that back, Boiman and Jim Barber we’re practically the voice of Miami TV for 2013-18! Not in the same league as Bake or anything, but they had their charm and didn’t condescend to the MAC.

1 Like

This isn’t exactly what I was hoping to hear.

https://x.com/jackschmelznger/status/1710354655530631235?s=46&t=Mwc894NmZi2sl3ixPUgjFA