Bergeron Canned

Wasn’t he let go by the current Miami AD?

1 Like

Getting a fully funded revenue stream for Alston payments would be a huge recruiting boost.
It could be a great hockey almuni fundraising drive to kick off the new coach’s tenure.

Most if not all Big Ten teams are giving them out and North Dakota started them this year I believe.

Seems very unlikely. I believe the rumbling is that Mannino hates Sayler’s guts for letting Rico and staff go less than a year after Mannino got here.

3 Likes

Maybe they’ve reconciled :joy::joy::joy:

I wouldn’t doubt that there’s hard feelings there. I think they were sold on coming to Miami that they would get a couple of years to right the ship. The responsibility that they didn’t probably rest more with Rico than with Sayler but one can understand if he has those feelings.

That said I think someone that fits his mold is where Miami would have the most success. Love Berg but he never embranced the challenge of the NCHC and openly from year 1 questioned Miami’s place in it. I think this in a big way doomed him to failure. It’s also a failure on Sayler’s end that this wasn’t vetted out in the hiring process.

2 Likes

The Job Posting just went up on Miami’s website.

Salary is not mentioned.

3 Likes

Does Miami fund cost of attendance for hockey?

1 Like

And they will make admissions exceptions for athletes. No, they’re not taking that NHL first rounder with 900 SAT scores, but they do have a formula for getting kids with enough ability to succeed in the door…

3 Likes

Can the program. truly just worth it in todays climate. No ROI compared to success in other programs

2 Likes

Statement from Miami:

Miami Hockey Announces Change in Leadership - Miami University RedHawks (miamiredhawks.com)

Sayler: “We have begun an immediate search to identify a new leader that will make our program competitive WITHIN THE NCHC…”

So everyone whining about this being the league’s fault, please stop.

6 Likes

Oh ok… so Because Sayler said it, we should be competitive.

Lolololol

1 Like

What’s he supposed to say, I’m going to hire another coach who wins 26 percent of his games?

1 Like

I don’t follow hockey the way I follow football and basketball. What is a reasonable expectation for a new staff over a 5 year period?

For football I believe our history, facilities and resources make it fair to expect that in a 5 year period we would be the average of the upper half of the conference. That puts us from 80 - 95 of the 134 schools wjth FBS football.

In basketball a realistic expectation has to be less. Our recent history, coupled with lesser facilities and a concurrent revenue sport(hockey) make it unfair to hold a staff to an expectation of being much more than an average MAC team and a ranking around 150-180 of the 340 odd schools with D-1 hoops.

What is a reasonable level within both the NCHC and college hockey more generally?

1 Like

Ivy has A, B snd C band athletes. A bands don’t need an admissions assist. B bands are possible admits.C bands are unlikely admits with predictability of academic success. Hockey probably gets up to two C bands in each recruiting class. Used to get most of their recruits directly from preps. Still get a lot of preps but now with a year or two of post grad juniors.

No, our AD said exactly what he should say. It is your proclamation that saying getting out of the league is wrong, the issue has been decided. At this point, that is kind of silly.

I love your dedication to Miami Hockey Bonk. I read your blog most of the time. Keep the faith. Disagreeing on how to make us whole again does not make us enemies.

3 Likes

His track record is HORRIBLE in hiring coaches.

So he wants a coach whose competitive? Aint happening with our resources

Before I comment, I want to make sure I totally track. Are you saying our AD’s track record is horrible in hiring coaches?

1 Like

Success:
Martin
Duffy
Kumar

Incomplete:
Steele
Smiley
Box

Fail, but defensible:
Bergeron
Hayden

Fail:
Hendrix
Owens
Wright

2 Likes

Why is Berge defensible? Because we are in a hard league? I’d out that one as a failure!

I’d make a category for EPIC failure. Cleve Wright as the CEO and Hendrix as the President.

2 Likes

Steele awful