Bergeron Canned

Rico did do well for a long time

3 Likes

Scottie Bowman isn’t doing anything. Just sayin’

I tend to agree with this, but as I have noted before, I am a casual (Miami only) hockey fan so not very knowledgeable about how a Coach would view taking over for a team that has essentially been in last place for 5 years with one conference win this past year.
Seems an up and coming Coach would take a gamble on it perhaps, but an experienced Coach…I dunno.

1 Like

Facilities wouldnt seem to be the issue. Can Sayler offer enough compensation and a budget sufficient to compete in the “toughest” conference in college hockey? Who knows…

Right, but he wrote a lot of great hits. Born on a Bayou. Suzy Q. Fortunate son. He’s an outlier.

1 Like

Princeton has to deal with no scholarships, high admission standards and a shortened season (ivy leagues don’t play the first few weeks).

1 Like

John Fogerty did not write Suzy Q.

1 Like

I think the quality of candidates that we draw will shine a light on how “good” of a job it really is, how easy it is to recruit to Miami, and if we should be in the NCHC.

5 Likes

Agree on Princeton for a number of reasons. Princeton is not for the garden variety athlete, as a full-blown academic thesis is a requirement for graduation.

Remind me again: what is the expected exit fee for withdrawing from NCHC. Guess there was some speculation that they might cut us some slack to get rid of our woebegone program.

Any student who gains admission to Princeton whose family income is less than about $150k attends at no cost. The lack of athletic scholarships is really a non-issue.

Why have you waited all these years to tell me this?

One year’s worth of league revenue which started at $1.5M when the league was founded and is now somewhere in the $1.6M-1.7M range.

This. You do not cost cut your way to a national championship in the NCHC. There is no reason we can’t get the right guy and make a go of it in this league as long as we don’t try to go the cheap route.

Do or die time for Sayler. Does he push all his chips in the middle and show everyone we’re committed to competing at the highest level or does he wave the white flag and prove the “Move to the CCHA!” crowd was, in fact, right all along about who we are?

Back to lurking.

3 Likes

True, and the comparison is to partial scholarships at other places primarily. I think you’d be surprised how many college hockey players would have a family income over 150k though.

2 Likes

The highest level would be Big Ten schools where salaries are pushing a million I believe. Not sure about where NCHC salaries are, since I doubt any school could afford that (except UND maybe).

Bergeron was going to be 330k, feels like anywhere in the 300-450k range should be doable + money for assistants.

True. Minor hockey is an expensive sport to play. But $150 k at Princeton is not an all or nothing number. The University guarantees affordability to all admitted students. They play in a very good conference with the the five other Ivy schools that play and other similar colleges. And they have the allure of the Hobey Baker!

A HC salary in Oxford, Ohio goes a LOT further than many peer programs in Denver, Colorado Springs, Tempe, etc.

I do agree the recruiting budget needs to be significantly improved. Not sure if NIL plays a role in this (Thought I heard it was not really?).

It’s up to Saylor and the hockey boosters (especially former players) to prove how much they want to compete IMO

3 Likes

I agree with your B1G salary comment, but by competing at the highest level I meant competing with the top teams in the league on the ice, hosting (and winning) playoffs series, top-20 PWR…that sort of thing.

Hastings (WI) is at $700k while Nightengale (MSU) just extended for $600k. I don’t think we need to be in that pay band to get the right person. I like your $350-$450 range.

Back to lurking.

Whats the NIL situation in college hockey? I know we aren’t swimming in money but with our hockey alumni base, can we really not make more enticing offers than some of these other small schools?

Its one thing to lose NIL battles in football and basketball to peer schools, but we can’t out recruit Nebraska Omaha, St Cloud State and Minnesota Duluth in the age of NIL?

2 Likes

Article from a year ago, so things may have changed but not really much NIL:

IMO, NIL isn’t a great use of resources right now. Funding Alston payments like the basketball team got recently would be good though.

1 Like