Bellarmine game

Guard driven team, good shooters, good free throw shooters, good defense. Alec Pfriem from Moeller. Ben Johnson played with Reece Potter at Lexington Catholic last season. Notable win over Louisville before Louisville was unmasked. Just had good win over Murray State.

This could be a game where Miami gets schooled on how to get good shooters open for good shots. Bellarmine is a team that I think Miami should be more like.

3 Likes

Bellarmine schooled us last year. While they have a couple nice wins their metrics don’t point to them being that good a team (KenPom #228 compared to Miami at #289). And while Miami has been horrific defensively, Bellarmine has been just plain bad.

Hoping Lewis is more near the player we’ve seen when healthy. Will be interested if Williams starts. I expect a good game today from Miami—should be a compelling game.

1 Like

I was thinking about who should start today and I decided that Louis should come off the bench today, basically because he had horrible game vs UC. Mabry has been good sitting out and watching and getting a feel for the game first, so the other 5 should start. We will see how Coach plays it.

I noticed a lot of comments about Morris playing better during the UC game. He needs to be evaluated differently than the other guys. Everybody else seems to be an offensive player more than defensive player. Morris is our best guy on that end of the court, but needs a lot of work on his offensive skill set. I think he has been more valuable than most of you do.

2 Likes

Actually Dick I have said repeatedly how much I like Morris. And yes, UC was his best game. He is by far our most athletic post player. He is still limited offensively, which is ok. Just get garbage baskets for now, put backs etc. And he has our best dunk of the year!

3 Likes

Morris has a defensive skill set that no other Miami post player has… although I think Harrison has some of the same abilities. Going to the way-back machine, Morris reminds me of Kevin Beard or maybe Mike Williams.

3 Likes

Mabrey starting today in place of Lewis. Along with Smith, Lairy, Anderson, Safford.

I assume the rotation off the bench will be like last game of Lewis, Kamari and Morris. Barring any foul trouble isses. Maybe see some Tatum and Etzler today in spot minutes.

Watching my daughter’s dance recital. Bring us home a winner!

3 Likes

Etzler in sweats. So I guess he has aggravated his knee again. Just guessing.

2 Likes

Oh god… the on-screen scoreboard is something out of a cable access broadcast of a high school game.

1 Like

This officiating has been pretty atrocious. A guy dives over Safford and they give a jump ball. A cutting player runs into Morris and they give him a foul.

Lairy is responsible for a 7 point swing by driving for no reason, getting blocked, and falling asleep on a shooter off an inbound.

1 Like

This poor kid cannot catch a break. I feel bad for him. He has shown glints of what he could be.

1 Like

Our offense is really on our heels. Really hard to create space when you’re letting them bully you back.

Lewis in sweats too. So I guess he is either sick or injured again. We are a pretty brittle team I guess.

2 Likes
  1. We are getting bullied as Jive said
  2. Our offense is sloppy and that is being kind
  3. Our D keeps leaving Bellarmine players wide open under the basket. Luckily they are screwing up too, but way to many wide open looks.
  4. Anderson and Lairy need to start playing smarter. Anderson taking a foul 20 feet from the basket at the under 8 timeout mark is not smart when we are short handed.

Back to back wide open layups for Bellarmine. Our D is atrocious. Bellarmine offense pretty to watch.

2 Likes

Lairy has really turned it around after that slow start. Officiating is horrid both ways.

1 Like

Strong finish. Lairy started better playing. I have to imagine Bellarmine isn’t going to turn the ball over this much second half.

Lairy really made me eat my words. Defense has forced some turnovers. Working better through screens. Still missing some handoffs with each other. Offense has starting passing well. BT needed to do much better that last possession. Multiple guys wide open after we swung the ball around and he just puts his head down and turns it over.

1 Like

Nice first half on the road against a quality mid-major - coming off a stinker at UC. Progress.