Back In The Day...We Had Some Pretty Good Concerts

2012: OAR
2013: Jim Gaffigan
2014: Aziz Ansari
2015: Seth Meyers

Only saw Meyers, though I heard Aziz was hilarious and certainly not family-oriented for Family Weekend. Anyone who bought a ticket for him without knowing what they got into had it coming.

1 Like

Springsteen, Billy Joel, Harry Chapin played in the mid to late 1970s. The worst concert was Seals and Croft who showed up hours late, played part of a lackluster set and left to extreme boos.

A superstar pianist named Lazar Berman had his US debut to a jammed Millett and every classical critic in the country made the trek.

Livingston Taylor played at Hall Auditorium and I have been a fan since then.

We (Miami Student) threw away most unused pics. I saved some concert photos.

Not 100% certain, but that might be Mike Reid, not sure (Cheech?), Dave Mason, Three Dog Night, and ?.

3 Likes

One I will not forget was Simon and Garfunkel in '72 or so. Had great seats thanks to frat bro who was chairman of concert board. During show, one of them said they had a new song to play. Started to play “Bridge Over Troubled Water”. Unreal. At the end of the song, there seemed to be stunned silence for 30 seconds. And then the crowd (SRO) erupted for about 5 minutes. Thereafter, it was played about every 10 minutes on WOXY. Jethro Tull was great. I just wish I could remember more of it (good drugs).

2 Likes

The one song performance by Blues Traveler almost led to my undoing. After the police shut the show down I ended up going upstairs and trying to go whiskey shot for shot with John Popper. That was…ill advised!

3 Likes

Wait what? One song? You gotta elaborate here. The Blues Traveller was traveling light and literally just played just one song?

My fraternity, Alpha Tau Omega, booked them to play our house. We cleared the parking lot, informed and sought the blessings of all our neighbors and thought we could have them outside.

Between when we booked them and the day of the show they became substantially more well known. As a result the crowd was huge and, one song in, the police shut us down for a noise violation.

3 Likes

Thanks MJ! That’s an amazing story! Must have been like ‘91 or so?

It was either 90 or 91. As with so many other things(where my car keys are, what I had for breakfast) these days I am fuzzy on the details.

1 Like

So Eddie, you had me scouring the internet to identify the bottom photo. I found a forum that replied quickly. As I suspected, but didn’t remember them being in Oxford. Actually Chicago Transit Authority back then.

3 Likes

Wow. Nice work.

And where is Peter Cetera?

Simon and Garfunkel was 69,70 or spring 71 because I was a year gone by 72.

1 Like

Simon and Garfunkel was on November 9th, 1969.

1 Like

I was there! Junior year.

…and here’s the setlist.

2 Likes

That setlist is definitely incomplete! They played “Cecelia” & none of us had ever heard it before.

There was a very massive load of recording equipment & rumors have persisted that “Cecelia” was recorded live at Millett. If you listen to it, you can here a lot of crowd noise - that was me & Nescadad.

4 Likes

First concert my freshman year was a band called Chase. They were kind of like a Chicago wanna be one hit wonder centered on the horns section. Since it was the first concert after high school, we thought it was great.

2 Likes

Loved Chase. Led by trumpeter Bill Chase, had a hit with Get It On! Still remember the cover art, had a place in my room sophomore year Chase (5) - Chase (LP, Album, Pit)

1 Like

When you said “get it on” I thought it was these guys.

2 Likes