Back In The Day...We Had Some Pretty Good Concerts

Well… When 97X shut down in 2004, the live music scene also slowly disappeared.

Balcony? Gone.
Stadium? Gone.
Hole In The Wall? Had some bands, mostly local. Now a different named bar/theme.
Brick Street? When it was First Run was more friendly to concerts and national bands, now it seems to be bro-country concerts once a month or so.

And that’s just off the top of my head for the uptown area.

As for ‘big’ bands at Millett, I remember during my time at 97X we hand a hand in bringing in Live, Beck, Gin Blossoms, Barenaked Ladies, and some other bands already mentioned. Bands coming to Oxford these days would require a truckload of money and a Miami student organization does not have that.

1 Like

Remember when Coldplay played Balcony? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

2 Likes

You bet I do. And also had a good chat with (at the time) linebacker Matt Robillard, who was a bouncer there.

1 Like

And to add to the fun here, setlist.fm is a goldmine if you’re a concert nut. If you don’t know about it, now you do.

When I was at Miami I went too REM and double bill of the FiXX/ Cheap Trick and Sting

Almost forgot the epic one song set played by Blues Traveler in the ATO parking lot

My daughter interviewed The Roots for The Student (2003 or so). They thought they were going to Florida, so she directed them to uptown clothing stores for warmer stuff.

Millett should host a WrestleMania event.

Killer site! Thanks, mattaledge!

I was at the Gin Blossoms in 1996. Good show.

And in the late 1990’s and early mid-2000’s it seemed like OAR was always coming thru town

2 Likes

You be welcome.

As for OAR… they are still a band. For some reason.

1 Like

So is RWB, it turns out! Mark is looking ROUGH.

97X hosted Kings of Leon at Balcony shortly after their debut album (which is great) Admission was $2.97, and they played maybe 5 songs. I feel like there was only myself and 10 other people watching them play, and afterwards I got to talk to Caleb (the lead singer) as he was sitting at the bar drinking a beer by himself.

As an aside, I miss WOXY, and I made a 500 playlist from their most recent reunion on Imusic. The best station there ever was.

3 Likes

Cleo Laine, Average White Band, and Firefall. I was an usher for Firefall, and they were fabulous in concert, and to us: they invited us backstage for refreshments and chatted with us before the concert. Great guys.

1 Like

I recall Bill Cosby performed at one of our Parents’ Weekends. In retrospect, it makes sense that he was working the college circuit in those days.

2 Likes

1996 (I think)

The Kinks in ‘81, Foreigner in ‘85.

Sexual Chocolate debuted in 1988

Cosby may have been 1996 (I was out of school by then) but he also performed Parents Weekend 1990 - my freshman year.

My senior year Parents Weekend was the one and only Mr. Barry Manilow.

I was never a big fan of his as a student, but went to several of his concerts later in life. As an entertainer, he is unparalleled.

My Parents Weekend Entertainment:

1989 - Ray Charles
1990 - Bill Cosby
1991 - Andy Williams/Joan Rivers
1992 - Jay Leno

Miami still does Parents Weekend better than any other school.