2024 Softball Season

The WCWS finished on June 6, so it’s not like we’re waiting on someone’s season to wrap up. It’s now been 23 days since the move was publicly announced and obviously it had been in the works before that. Insane that there’s still no hire, especially as we lose returning players and recruits almost daily. Totally killing all of the momentum built up over the past 4 years.

4 Likes

Wanted to see the historical timeframe for these decisions. Sayler has always taken his time during the hiring process, but this is egregious even by his standards. Today we tied the mark for longest hiring gap during his tenure that wasn’t a midseason firing. The two previous 23 day searches were Megan Duffy (when he was conducting simultaneous coaching searches for both the men’s and women’s teams) and Brian Smiley (whose announcement was delayed because his team was still playing in the NCAA tournament).

Cooper>Owens: 19 days
Owens>Steele: 8 days
Fantanarosa>Wright: 15 days
Wright>Duffy: 23 days
Duffy>Hendrix: 14 days
Hendrix>Box: 12 days
Blasi>Bergeron: 17 days
Bergeron>Noreen: 13 days
Simonds>Hayden: 15 days
Hayden>Smiley: 23 days
Crowell>Kumar: 16 days

My comment had nothing to do with their AD it was merely an observation that no one is safe

I was wondering whether KK would be taking one or both of her coaches and whether Vierstra might have been under consideration as her replacement.

I was replying to your comment of 10 days ago. My comment definitely refers to our AD, and not their AD, and I thought your comment was about our situation. I still read it that way when I reread it. But Maybe we actually have no disagreement.

Thanks for the research . I think the NIL and Transfer portal have changed everything and getting your new coach hired quickly is very important to retaining your talent. Look how well Ohio State did with retaining all their young men’s basketball talent with the quick hiring of their new coach before anyone had a chance to even enter the portal.

1 Like

Thought you were replying to my one from earlier today. In any case just because you have a short list doesn’t guarantee a swift decision. Lot of moving parts in a coaching cycle. Some people may not want to leave or they may want to go to a different school. I’m not privy to what conversations have been had but it’s not like the department is sitting there doing nothing.

Condits retirement announcement was made on October 31. Miami’s season ended on November 15th. The national championship was on December 17th. Our new coach was named on February 5th. Did i miss something - issues with this hire - or did it take 3 months from retirement to new hire announcement?

1 Like

Volleyball wasn’t one of the sports I looked at, but it appears that the timeline you posted is correct. It also looks like the new coach didn’t finish filling out his staff until June 12th. That’s for a fall sport. Not sure what’s going on with the athletic department right now.

1 Like

Maybe we could keep Jenna by making her player/coach. Nice Salary for a Senior. Her assistants could take care of a lot of the daily work while she was attending class. lol

2 Likes

Miami hires their new head softball coach, Mandy Gardner-Colegate, coming from The University of Iowa! Gardner-Colegate Named Head Coach of Miami Softball - Miami University RedHawks

1 Like

Maybe she can bring some of those Top 25 recruits with her.

2 Likes

When I first saw the name, I thought we got the HC from Colgate, and I was thinking, “oh, yay.” She’s a former pitching coach, which is probably a good thing for our team.

See! There you go. No need to panic. Another up and coming star and we will get some nice talent.

1 Like

Pitching was the least bad part of that team and she wasn’t there long enough for recruiting to have an impact, but I’m still going to be a little bit skeptical about an assistant coach from a team that went 18-28 (6-17) in a not very good conference. Gonna need to show off her recruiting chops quickly to rebuild the roster.

If my googling around is accurate, her grandfather played basketball at WVU alongside Jerry West and was later the head coach at WVU when Bob Huggins played there.

1 Like

You were noodlin’ around online and found Gale Catfish!

KK took assistant coach Caitlyn Nolan along with Courtney Vierstra. Miami Softball is going to have an entirely new look in 2025.

Turn the page and soldier on!

I wish her great failure!

1 Like

People take better jobs all the time, good people at that. Wishing her failure for taking a career advancement reflects bad on you and our fanbase. If you want elite coaches and players to come here don’t talk bad about them if/when they leave. Word gets around

7 Likes