2024 (so-called) off-season thread

That will be good. Those Sunday games are abysmal.

2 Likes

I meant live on the TV :joy: but I am tempted to make the trip because I can’t go to either game for his opening series at home :sob:

Gametimes are up on the schedule. 7:05 for every home game but no time listed for Oct. 26, the Saturday game vs. Lindenwood, presumably because Miami has a home football game that afternoon.

1 Like

https://x.com/BobcatsHockey/status/1833228289076564217

2 Likes

Is Ohio starting a program? That would be pretty cool imo. I knew Barry back in college. Great guy. I hope he does well there.

This is their ACHA program, they’ve been around for a while

If they did somehow go D1 maybe MAC hockey would happen :joy:

1 Like

Those photos look familiar. A credit would’ve been nice.

5 Likes

I think both Kent and Ohio might have had varsity hockey back in the day.

They have a pretty good club program, but I doubt they have the money to think about D1. That’s too bad because that would make a pretty good 4th for an Ohio Cup if they did. I don’t even need it to rotate around. Hold it at Nationwide: centrally located and the state’s only NHL ice.

4 Likes

So is it club then?

1 Like

Like the Beanpot

1 Like

ACHA is club, but ACHA D1 can be pretty close to a varsity program at some schools, it’s not as big of a jump as other club sports to NCAA D1. Looks like Ohio has an on campus arena that seats 2k (bleachers only though)

2 Likes

Reminder: Miami’s ACHA D2 guys made it to the national final game in St Louis last season - losing a close game to IU

1 Like

The Bobkitties have as much chance of jumpstarting a D1 program as Youngstown State does. Bird is an old barn and isn’t D1 ready (remember that facilities encompass more than just a sheet of ice…locker rooms, training rooms, etc.). I’d expect Maine or New Hampshire to join the MAC as all sports additions to help jumpstart MAC hockey long before I’d look to the cretins in Athens. While it’s nice to see Barry land somewhere, not sure how this move helps further his career. Maybe a NAHL/USHL gig if he’s successful? I don’t know. Regardless, good luck!

Full disclosure: my high school defensive playing partner ended up at OU and played 4 years there. Just because he was bigger than me, faster on his skates, had softer hands and a wicked slappah doesn’t mean I couldn’t have been a contender if I wanted to.

Back to lurking.

4 Likes

Sometimes other factors come into play. Barry worked at Miami in various roles for 9 years before 9 years at BG. Then 5 years back at Miami under Berge. That’s a lot of years in Ohio’s State Retirement System and now he can accrue more service at OU.

Barry’s a fantastic guy and I’m sure the OU Club job wasn’t his first pick. But the top Assistant for a horrible team (which we have been) is a tough spot to be in.

2 Likes

Lurker, I’d like to think you had other skills on the ice and you’re too modest to mention them. Me, well I can’t skate at all and don’t know that my puck handling skills would be up to snuff, but I can say I’d be tremendous at talking smack. I would keep it coming every set every period. And it would be baffling nonsense. Well rehearsed in advance like any top athlete should do. But, yeah. Just gibberish. Most hockey players are excellent athletes. I helped teach a few of the guys who were taking tennis as an elective and they went from terrible to decent real fast.

1 Like

You may also recall Schutte won a national championship in 2000 while coaching the Miami men’s club hockey team

4 Likes

I’ve never met a hockey player who isn’t at least decent at golf. Although compared to me that isn’t saying anything.

3 Likes

According to their database the previous coach was getting paid $62,100. A little less than half of what he was getting here.

I agree 100000%