2024 (so-called) off-season thread

Since we’re all kind of talking about the same thing in multiple threads – we’ve gotten a coach and the portal has quieted – I think we should start a new thread to discuss all things coaches, players, schedule, etc.

To credit the previous coaching staff, they did build a solid 2024-25 recruiting class, and I’m taking the lack of those NLIs jumping ship this week as a very good sign. Also, no more transfers among existing players since Noreen was hired, also good.

In 2019 we knew Schutte would follow Bergeron so only one coaching vacancy was available, and the portal wasn’t a thing. Now we’re in completely uncharted territory with three unknown assistants, and transfers bouncing around like bingo balls means we see significant developments almost daily.

For better or worse (I say better) there’s not going to be much of an off-season for this program.

4 Likes

https://x.com/schlossmangf/status/1776252427986985199?s=46&t=mPlcG4M_xdzFZMdSX_jqFA

1 Like

Right in line with where Bergeron’s contract was at (325k I believe), so seems like a good number for both parties to me.

1 Like

Vote for bruNO!

You can vote as many times as you’d like if you refresh the page

2 Likes

Robby Drazner in the portal :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Man, what a sad first update to the sheet :persevere:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vQcvSul5YnTYhfVNHFFTCGUJ6VGGL72o/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=106575232485619243696&rtpof=true&sd=true

2 Likes

Press conference starting in ~10 min here:

Couldn’t watch because I had to take the dog to the vet. What did I miss?

Watching the replay myself. Some highlights:

From Sayler:
-This was the best job open this offseason, and interest proved it
-Coach Cady provided input on the hiring process, and former players/alums reached out to stress the importance of getting Miami hockey back to where it needs to be
-Plan is in place to get Miami back to being competitive and winning in short order, expectation is regularly competing for NCAA bids ASAP, and building from there
-In the portal/NIL/Alston era, we wanted someone who could be a real program CEO, someone who has extensive experience not just in coaching but also in recruiting/roster management, especially with year-to-year roster fluidity
-Also wanted someone with experience developing players for future success
-Noreen will be going back and forth between Nebraska and Oxford until Tri-City’s playoff run is complete

From Noreen:
-Was only willing to go somewhere where the program and institution are on the same page with what he envisions
-Support from Miami alumni so far has been the most impressive thing he’s experienced in hockey
-Number one objective is to support and develop players. Get them where they have a chance to play this game for a long time, but if not, they are successful men
-“My job [is] to set a standard. My standard is extremely high. It’s not for everybody. But we will live that standard. We will hold them accountable to that standard. It will be uncomfortable to get to that standard. But we will support them…we will have their backs.”
-Approach is to have the same goals every day, no matter whether we won or lost. We need to get better every day whether we win or lose. We won’t do things differently because we won the night before.
-Ultimate goal is to make Miami not just a place, but the place to come if you want to reach your goals as a player, academically, and as a person.

Q&A:
-What’s it like meeting the existing players? First thing is to get the right people in the right seats. Some people might not be for me, and I might not be for some people. We’re going to implement our standards and support people who want to meet that standard.
-How is college hockey different from USHL? It’s like what I’ve done in the past. Every player I’ve coached in 7 years went to D-I except for some guys who were already high draft picks and went pro. Leadership is leadership at every level, and it starts with trust. I need to build trust with the current roster, and they need to build trust with me.
-BONK QUESTION: What’s the process look like for filling out the roster? Evaluate the current roster (including 5th year guys who might come back)–not just their talent, but whether they fit the new culture. Incoming guys–culture, ability to contribute soon. Transfer portal–an important tool, but can’t be the basis for building a program. It’s on me to sell a little bit of a dream right now, but it’s going to get there. We need to be better on the ice, and we’ll have honest conversations and evaluations.
-What’s your style? How do you like your teams to play? Goal is to have an identity. Everyone from someone who’s been in the NHL for 20 years to a person seeing their first game should be able to immediately tell your identity. We will be fast and hard. All on the same page. Predictable to each other but unpredictable to the opponent. Teams should dread playing us. And they need to be great teammates. Guys who care about each other as much as themselves.
-Can you hone in on a philosophy or motto? Discipline. Want to make it clear that it’s easy to come in and be “rah rah” and have a great workout or be amped for opening night. The tough part is to keep yourself motivated no matter what–to keep showing up and doing it right. I need to have discipline too, make sure that I’m doing all the things I ask them to do.
-What were your impressions of the program when you were a player and juniors coach? My mentor is Wil Nichol, who was on Rico’s first staff. I joined his first staff at Stevens Point. We implemented what Wil learned at Miami. When I became a head coach myself, I implemented what I learned from Wil. This has always been a special place to me. We sent all kinds of kids here when I was at Youngstown. I remember seeing people lined up in tents when I came to visit with them. Miami is the perfect blend of academic and athletic. Not all schools are. We check all the boxes. You can both get a great education and develop into a top-notch player.
-Bit of a tangent from Noreen: the rebuild is the fun. We did this at Stevens Point, and I’ve done it in the USHL. When you talk about it years later, you remember not hoisting the trophy, but the battles along the way as you rebuilt the program. It’s hard, but it’s worth it.
-Using USHL ties to get guys to Oxford? I’ve got lots of experience running drafts, evaluating the current player pool. I expect to draw not just on my experience with player evaluation, but also my experience knowing how today’s players tick. The modern athlete is different from athletes of the past, and I know them.

17 Likes

If you missed it:

3 Likes

Two things stood out to me while I was listening:

He’s rebuilt multiple programs. He has a blueprint and has been able to execute on it.

This is the big one IMO. He mentioned not everyone enjoys the modern-day athlete, but he does. There are a lot of coaches who are struggling to succeed in a world where athletes have more power than they’ve ever had. I think athletes genuinely want to play for a coach who has their best interests and a lot of old school, scream in your face coaches say they’re in it for the athlete, but only care about using them to win. If Noreen’s goal really is to help each player reach the top end of their potential, then the wins will come.

4 Likes

I didn’t watch, but reading Chuck’s post, he sounds a bit like Rod Brind’Amour talking about our standard is the standard, having an identity, consistency, winning the day, and being a destination kids want to play at. (I may watch way too many of Rod’s pre and post game pressers, lol) Not a bad coach to model your coaching philosophy off of.

Now I fully expect him to deliver a conference championship within his first 2 years!

Apparently I’m out of Miami hockey writer jail. It was a horrible 15 months – no Mac & Joe’s or Skipper’s!

19 Likes

Not sure that 6 years is the way to go. If things don’t turn around, it creates another Bergeron scenario where we’re financially locked into keeping a guy that it’s obvious is not right for the job.

I think 4 years and then if the first three show solid progress, we give him a nice long raise and extention.

You’re ignoring that the buyout of a contract can be different from the remaining salary.

1 Like

2 Likes

Man, I sounded horrible – I had a miserable allergy-induced sore throat. I sound like RFK Jr. if he gargled with a pound of gravel.

1 Like

https://x.com/mattchoups9/status/1778500732322214211

7 Likes

Went 3-9-12 last season and has 41 points in three seasons. Should be a big help up front as a top-9 forward.

4 Likes

Our first take on Noreen:

Miami a ‘dream job’ for Noreen – View From the Glass

7 Likes