2023 Football Season

I’d ask if you care to bet on it but we both know it’ll be a close shave if the Rockets lose unexpectedly

But at least they won the MACC last year to keep the greatest streak in all of sports alive

6 Likes

Just read the Advance Scout on WMU. I didn’t realize we’ve lost eight straight to the Broncos! We only scored 10 points against them last season in Oxford, and that broke our home winning streak. I certainly hope our “new offense” is vastly improved over whatever that was last year.

Over the 10-0 1968 MAC Champion Tangerine bowl team - losers to the Richmond Spiders in a ridiculously high scoring game (49-42) for that era. I watched that game on TV as a college Sophomore.

1 Like

I don’t think it will be much different. Probably under center more. 60/40 pass/run ratio. We are good as long as #5 is under center.

2 Likes

No arguments from me on basketball, but is that really the case for football under Jason Candle? They’ve probably underachieved a bit in that time, but they’ve still managed two MAC titles and a few OOC wins in that time with no losing seasons.

2 Likes

Toledo got 4 votes (T-39) in the first AP poll of the season that just came out. Neither Coral Gables or UC were among the 49 teams receiving votes.

So I’ll take that as we’re all tied for the 50th spot. Cool.

1 Like

I’m one of the few (or so it seems) that does not like the Illinois game for Toledo. People are quick to point out how much Illinois lost in the secondary and at RB. There is a good chance that the Illini are actually better at RB and have very little drop off in the secondary.

Illinois may field a stronger team than the won that won 8 games last year and didn’t lose a regular season game by more than 8 points. Bielema has compared this year’s running back group to his 2010 Wisconsin team (3 players over 1,000 yards from scrimmage) several times and also said the defensive front is as good as any he’s ever coached.

I still think Toledo has the best chance of winning the MAC West and it should be an exciting year for a number of MAC teams.

1 Like

Illinois picked up an under the radar QB from Ole Miss that I have been following for a few years. I think he will open some eyes.

3 Likes

At least it’s a MAC vs B1G game that’s getting talked about. That’s a plus. Rockets are certainly going to have to play a crapload better than they did at TOSU last season to have a snowball’s chance in Champaign-Urbana.

1 Like

I just hope we use more than 1 WR in our passing game this year.

3 Likes

I think you will see Javon Tracy and Reggie Virgil both take a step up this year. I could see Tracy leading the team in receptions. Brett has more weapons this year.

2 Likes

And don’t forget about The Marshall Plan. Er, I mean Marshall, not the post WW2 reparations strategy. Silly autocorrect. Too lazy to change it

1 Like

I think Marshall, Tracy, Virgil, and Larvadain can be a solid group. Just not a ton of experience there. Don’t know what Joe Wilkins will give us coming off his injury history.

The offensive staff really needs to work on involving more pass catchers in the game. Hippenhamer had over twice as many catches as the next guy last season. Hopefully Brett can do it…

1 Like

Tracy is the best route runner and will be instrumental in Gabberts success. Marshall, of course. I was mentioning new players that will step up. Virgil’s upside is insane. There is a lot to be excited about with these receivers.

1 Like

Coldiron is also one of the best TEs in the MAC

It’s exciting but only will keep remaining exciting if the O line keeps him upright long enough to go through the progression and make the correct throw.

2 Likes