2023 Football Season

I hate this for the kid. I tend agree with coach that he probably got some bad advice somewhere (the college football landscape is saturated with bad advice givers) or perhaps he gambled on the known risk. The new transfer rules were sorely in need and the NCAA made it clear that they would be more consistent in standing behind the new rules, even before they were finalized. (Whether they do that is to be seen)

The transfer portal offers an equal ratio of kids getting screwed as it does opportunities. If a program opts to take a player from the portal they are choosing him or her over a player currently on the roster or one that would have received an offer from HS. In many cases the bias is towards the kid getting screwed. Transfers often get guarantees of NIL, playing time or position on the depth chart that an existing kid most often would not have gotten out of HS. I will use Hudson Card as an example: quite arguably could have been the best QB on the Texas roster this year. Card lost his spot to Ewers who came with guarantees. Card then transferred to Purdue where some solid QBs that had chosen Purdue suddenly found themselves in an uncompetitive battle vs Card who didn’t initially choose Purdue but landed there with “guarantees”. A couple of those QBs transferred and perpetuated the cycle.

With the new rule the transfer is guaranteed scholarship through undergrad whereas kids who took the more organic route receive 1 year renewables.

It’s an imperfect system that the NCAA appears to be trying to improve but much like in the real world, with new rules will come new loopholes.

2 Likes

It absolutely sucks for a lot of kids. Coaches, AD’s seem to not clearly understand the rules. Definitely the Wild West as CM has said on multiple occasions.

The NCAA only changed guidelines on second transfers in January. He was already in the portal at that point, which means they changed the rule ex post facto on him. Players who have their scholarships pulled are supposed to be immediately eligible, even under the new guidelines. He’s also claiming that Colorado failed to accommodate a learning disability, which, if true, is also supposed to make him immediately eligible under the new guidelines.

2 Likes

Maddux has to sit out his mom and dad should get an lawyer was told to transfer by sanders

No case. Players have a one year contract. Period. Miami gets rid of kids too. Every college does. This is one of the things wrong with our country. The “victim”. Life happens, things do suck. Blaming everyone around you is weak and pointless. He can appeal if he does not agree and I think he should.

3 Likes

He transferred. Nobody made him. This does suck. Time to take responsibility move on. This has virtually no effect on him. He’s 3rd string with a starter with 2 years left, back up with 3. He can still practice, be on the team, keeps his scholarship. Next subject.

1 Like

Like things go for many student athletes, it frequently doesn’t turn out the way they intended for them to. Maybe staying home and picking Houston was a mistake, going to a poor performing Colorado might not have been wise, knowing there could be a coaching change. Drawing Deion was definitely a stroke of bad luck. No one could have assumed the draconian approach he’d take to roster management. He probably came to Miami thinking Brett was leaving. But Brett pulled his name out and came back. Aveon has improved since last season and Henry is still there. Things just haven’t worked out for him.

At this stage he can - and probably should - appeal. Regardless of the result, the goal should probably be making the best of the years he has left in college, as a student and/or as a member of the Miami FBS team.

If he really wants to play, there is always the option of transferring again - but down to FCS or DII, where I think he could play immediately.

Making lemonade of lemons is the key now.

2 Likes

Excellent advice.

1 Like

Much as I think this rule stinks, there is no case against Sanders. He didn’t owe any duty to advise Kopp of the transfer rules.

4 Likes

I’m not missing the point. You get one transfer without losing a year of eligibility (having to sit out). That’s what didn’t exist before the portal. You can also transfer once without losing eligibility as a grad student. What the NCAA did for the prior two years was selective enforcement ( in other words “nothing” to enforce sitting out if you exceeded the above limits). That’s why kids like Daniels and Bryant have been able to transfer three times without penalty. They are now applying those rules to Kopp by the letter but could’ve looked at the circumstances and granted him a waiver. Selective Enforcement. I am very familiar with the transfer portal since it’s inception .

You are absolutely correct.

1 Like

Not selective enforcement at all. The board reviews all cases and makes a determination. They obviously did not think he had a good enough reason. Likely because he had just transferred the year before as well. There have been lots of players ruled ineligible this season for the same reason.

Ok, I said as much in my first comments that they didn’t enforce the rule for the first three years of the portal, then they announced that they would start cracking down this spring, after Kopp and everyone else had transferred. I agree they are ruling others ineligible as well, but unless I see that somebody who transferred for the third time is denied eligibility, it’s selective enforcement.

I’m not in favor of allowing multiple transfers, but the ONE circumstance that should be a waiver is when there is a coaching change and said new coach tells the team, “here is my son the starter, the rest of y’all are welcome to leave”.

3 Likes

I don’t personally disagree. Just saying the rule itself is simple. One transfer for any reason without sitting out a year. What you explained is why there is confusion. I also think the players that transferred in December-January did get caught in this new rule. There is a QB at Georgia Southern that got caught up in this exact situation. The rules in the NCAA are never enforced equally. That has always been the case. The ball was dropped by whomever at Miami told him he could transfer and play. There was no guarantee.

1 Like

Right, or they told him there was no guarantee and he’d possibly have to sit a year. We don’t actually know what was said although I would wager you are closer to knowing the truth than most people here.

1 Like

I was just looking at Toledo’s football website. I think they will be the second-best team we face this year. Maybe not much different than the Hurricanes. This Toledo team is big everywhere. They have LB as big as our starting DE. Their DLs are all over 250 pounds except one. Several over 280, 4 over 290. OL big. DBs the size of LB. It really is an impressive roster. They have players on the Jim Thorpe, Davy O’Brien, Butkus, and Biletnikoff watch lists. Matt Candle has put together, what appears on paper to be an outstanding roster. Former Miami All-MAC DL Mark Staten coaches their OL and TE. It will not surprise me in the least if they beat Illinois in their opener. Barring injuries, this Toledo team could run the table. (Except for losing to Miami!)

4 Likes

The Athletic picked Toledo over Illinois as one of the highly possible G5 over P5 upsets. One other was Coastal over UCLA. I can’t remember what the third one was.

1 Like

Yahoo Sports mentioned Toledo as a potential NY6 Bowl team

2 Likes

Phil Steele has them as the 3rd most-likely G5 team to make the NY6.

3 Likes

Death, taxes, Toledo choking in every sport when it matters.

4 Likes