2023 Football Season

First camp interview is up

1 Like

2nd camp report with Austin Ertl and the OL breakdown.

1 Like

So I just took some quick notes on the OL breakdown. 9 guys mentioned specifically, which isn’t to say others aren’t in play. But these are the 9, led by Holskey. Chuck emphasized a few times essentially these guys have to step up from last year in both the running game and keeping Gabbert upright. These guys are tall and big. From what little I could see on the video it looks like they have some quickness for OL. Unlike when Chuck took over 10 years ago, we have OL that looks like a DI OL. Here are the 9:

Holskey 6’6" 303
Vaughn 6’7" 297
Jados 6’8" 308
Borders 6’6" 315
Young 6’5" 317
Nank 6’4" 315
Lawhorn 6’6" 321
Rohrs 6’4" 326
Terrill 6’6" 285

5 Likes

Certainly a lot of potential in that group. And as blues pointed out, all of them seem physically capable. But still a little more uncertainty going into the season than I would like. You have guys coming back from injury, unproven underclassmen, and possibly some shifting of positions. Sounds like there may even be a freshman on the 2 deep by the time camp breaks.

Hopefully Patton can get things sorted sooner rather than later. They’ll need time to gel as a unit before Miami, or there could be some growing pains early in the season. And with a QB that has a history of getting banged up, that’s not a great recipe. Curious to see how it all plays out.

1 Like

I’ve been watching some of the bookie broadcasts on YouTube this week who are predicting the MAC. Almost all of them have Toledo and Ohio in the championship game in December. Most have the Rockets winning.

Miami is usually mentioned as the third or fourth best bet to win the conference. The knock seems to be our anemic offense and our inability to put up more than 24 points. Some comment that we have a solid but small and injury prone QB, a line that doesn’t dominate and a head coach who is hesitant to gamble in the right situations. One bookie I watched yesterday mentioned Brett’s injury last year and said Miami was forced to play with an inexperienced freshman QB who “can’t really throw the ball.” Some say they “don’t trust Chuck Martin.”

But mostvthink our MAC schedule is quite favorable and believe we should be favorites in 8 of our games. At 7.5, the bookies seem to be taking the Over more often than not.

1 Like

Acronym it and market the hell out of it

MOFOH

4 Likes

In the twenty MAC football seasons since 2003 (the earliest I could find any records on the conference site), the preseason poll has correctly predicted the West division winner 8/20 times and East winner 4/20. The only season they got both correct was 2014, and nine times they didn’t pick either. Their only correct prediction since 2019 was Kent State winning the East in 2021. Point being, let’s not take much stock in the polls because that 12/40 success rate is pretty lousy.

3 Likes

The MAC is nothing but parity. There is little difference most years between #3 and #10.

1 Like

Thanks. Looks like I might be able to fly up to BDL non-stop on Saturday morning with enough time to drive an hour up to Amherst for a 3:30 pm kick. What is the visitors section at the UMass stadium?

1 Like

HI Dan, I’m away and think 15 or 16 is center for visitors side. It will be warm until the sun gets lower. Basically 1-10 is home and 11-20 is vistor side. Your teamwill enter from the south end zone. Will be back Thursday . The norton vpn is bot working on the laptop, but may try. Happy you’re visiting the pioneer valley. Seems tight thou. Takes time to get luggage and normal 90minutes to Amherst. You really need to allow for 2.5 hours as parkiing will take time. Get your parking pass ahead of time. If with family the south lawn is peaceful. You can enter from a side street. If you land in the am around 11. Will be good.

1 Like

The offensive line is where we will likely struggle. I worry about Gabbert. I fear a repeat of last year. I do think Aveon will improve as a passer, but still not his strong suit. We need an athletic backup that can throw and there is not one on the roster.

1 Like

I trust your knowledge here but I thought the kid from Colorado was getting good reviews. Certainly highly ranked out of HS.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, Steve.I’ll try to see if I can make something work. Might have to come up Friday if I come. Adds at least $250 to the cost of the trip so we’ll have to see. Thanks again!

He’s not very mobile. He’s big so hopefully can take a hit.

That’s good context. Much appreciated. If he can throw, I like our top 3. I’m still very impressed with what Aveon did last year. Guy is a winner. Brett is obviously very talented. I sorta think barring injury we might be better than people predict?

1 Like

I think you’re right. I would like to see the Gabbert that marched down the field on the opening drive against Kentucky last season. If he stays healthy the RedHawks will surprise a lot of “experts”.

5 Likes

Where do Hesson and any of the other 8 QB in the room fall in the overall scheme?

1 Like

Idk, if you land at noon, you could miss a bit of the game or becfine and have time to meet up and have some good food. Can’t remember if I’m in section 5 or 6 4 rows up in front of thr steps from field level around the 50 yard line. When things get closer, we can pm phone numbers if you’d like to meet. How many in your party. If it’s just you can probable get you in for some smoked bbq, 30 before game time up to the Hunt Hospitality suite with a mini free buffet and look out from the terrace over the north end zone. Otherwise will invite a family member or pool teammate. May have options for them

1 Like

Looks like it’s Gabbert, Aveon, Kopp, Hesson. Poor old Henry may never play and it’s ashamed. I think he could be a very good college QB. They have 3 signal QBs, that signal plays but will never see action. They also have a walk on QB. Way too many QBs IMO.

1 Like

Thanks. I hope We don’t need any of them for more than a play or two this season - like if Brett’s helmet comes off.

1 Like