2023 Football Season

So what? Just make the check out correctly!!

Blues - I just bought one of our officially licensed Miami of Ohio shirts online to proudly wear with the officially licensed Miami of Ohio button I bought at the Shriver Center Book Store in 1970. I’m a proud 1971 graduate. My brother is a proud 1973 graduate.

In our day we never saw it as an issue until former Director of Development and Alumni Director - the late Doug Wilson - made it one. Doug was a friend, by the way and I hosted him in Seattle in 1984 when I was president of the local alumni chapter and Miami played Washington. But on this issue we never agreed.

Doug’s dad, former Miami Provost Charles Wilson, always maintained that Yale would never call itself Yale of Connecticut if another school called the University of Yale came along in a big city named Yale. I always thought that was a rather flimsy argument, especially as the other school in burgeoning Miami founded well after we were founded out grew us and began to gain far more athletic prominence.

I reserve the right to call my alma mater Miami, Miami University, Miami Oxford, or Miami of Ohio, depending on the circumstances and on the geographical location in which the discussion is taking place. In Ohio, it’s usually just Miami. In other places I’ve lived, Washington State, Oregon, New Hampshire and North Carolina, it’s almost always Miami of Ohio.

I just wish others, mostly from classes after in the 80s or afterwards - and the Athletics Department itself - would be less condescending about use of the term Miami of Ohio.

See you at Hard Rock! And beat Miami of Florida!

4 Likes

Weren’t they formerly known as the “Convicts”?
Back in the 70’s or 80’s when playing Notre Dame?

1812 - Only for one game and on a well-marketed shirt that -if memory serves me - got a few ND students rich but in a bit of hot water. I think ESPN 30 for 30 did a piece on this game.

Living in Florida, as my wife and I do, I have found myself “forced” to call my undergraduate school “Miami of Ohio.” Also, with a second degree from C-bus school of football, I also find myself using "THE Ohio State University which usually gets a laugh, occasionally a frown…which proves that you cannot please everyone. Seminole and Gator fans, not to mention Hurricane supporters, just do not like Buckeyes…so I enjoy every opportunity to stick it to them.

1 Like

When you say the name of the former, just keep in mind that we were born “of Ohio.” The other school down there was born “of Miami.” Oddly, neither of us are located in a place called Miami.

I sometimes use Miami of Ohio to clearly differentiate with pride which Miami I am referring to. I have always felt that the frustration with the “of Ohio” reference is a waste of energy and focus. Why get so hung up on that - I prefer Miami University, but have no issue with Miami of Ohio. Love and Honor!

5 Likes

I don’t like the “of Ohio” thing but I have pretty much given up correcting (in my mind) people. When asked where I went to undergrad I almost always respond with “the real Miami”.

3 Likes

Amen, brother Tom!

A reminder to those as Muhawk and Dick and others coming to the Pioneer Valley on Sept 9th, book your rooms. As most college towns, rooms fillup fairly fast. Live 25 miles away so it is not something I’ve had to keep track of. But there are some complaining not being able to book rooms.

We’ll get a head start with a game on ESPN on Aug 26th and then again away to Auburn. Hope we don’t get banged up to bad to face you guys. We should NOT be a push over as some might expect.

I checked hotels about a month ago from Brattleboro to Hartford and availability was limited and prices outrageous. Nothing available in Amherst and very little in Springfield. Rental car prices at BDL were also off the charts. Haven’t checked recently.

I live in New Mexico & go running with my Miami University tee ( Ohio not mentioned). People say Miami of Ohio? Maybe it’s the red & white or they just know the difference.

2 Likes

This isn’t worth it. I have deleted my post.

1 Like

Have you checked bed and breakfasts. Clamber Hill is almost 25 miles out, but know the owner. My daughter worked as a chamber maid and do go there for a Tequila tasting once, long back. He was in the Marine Corp and served as the Exhaulter Rule or the now defunct Elks Lodge. Believe the still have horses and is the old W Pratt estate and found of Springfield’s channel 22. Petersham is close to the the Shays Rebellion. Here is a trip advisor link. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g41766-c2-Petersham_Massachusetts-Hotels.html. On the cheap of Motel 6 style are are few motels at the junction of Route 2 and US 202, a tiny bit closer. There is also a REd Roof in deerfield much closer to UMass and almost next to Yankee Candle. [link direct to Clamber Hill website]https://www.clamberhill.com/)

1 Like

Used to stay at the Red Roof when my kid went to Eaglebrook. If I remember correctly, it was sold out for the weekend of the 9th two months ago. Thanks for the update.

Checked Clamber Hill. Looks like $235 a night with breakfast but obviously is not a place to be loud at. But to have breakfast, perhaps with another couple and head to the game would be a nice relaxing experience. Mark and Deni are the owners. She does the cooking and even had my daughter help her on a local tv cooking show long ago. Mark was the first person to call me Tequila Steve at a meeting.

Then there are 1 star hotels. motels in orange, ma - Google Search

1 Like

There use to be a T-Shirt that said “Miami was already a University in Ohio when Florida still belonged to Spain” It would be perfect for the Labor Day Weekend trip to Miami Gardens.

3 Likes

Half the people I knew from Kentucka, Indiana, Ohia, and West Virginia pronounced our name Miama. Just go with that and problem solved!

1 Like

I am in Florida too, but I just tell people I went to Miami University in Ohio. Kind of the best of both worlds.

5 Likes

Or just make it the longest name ever. I might suggest: “I go or went to Miami University of Oxford of Ohio of the United States of planet Earth.”