2023 Football Season

Severe new rules on transferring proposed…the article links to the 38 page Senate bill.

There’s been licensed Miami of Ohio gear for decades. Not really surprised.

2 Likes

Fanatics has a great selection of Miami gear if you can’t get to Oxford.

2 Likes

Both of these products are listed as officially licensed. I think we should capitalize on the historic moniker, not put official disclaimers on our athletic department web site and in our weekly press guides.

Having a university policy that strongly discourages the use of Miami of Ohio while licensing merchandise that says Miami of Ohio makes absolutely no sense at all to me.

3 Likes

I never use it but get why it is used.

3 Likes

Here’s one available on our own site!

https://shop.miamiredhawks.com/product/miami-redhawks-creator-short-sleeve-t-shirt-139121/1195

At the risk of sounding like irate Indiana Jones standing in his underwear as he bangs on his neighbors door to turn down the damn music (which actually does happen in the new film and pretty much where I had to leave the theater as my son was not feeling good) maybe there’s a simple explanation? Ie, those who set the policy never go to shop for gear at the university store? In defense of the neighbor, it was 1969 and we’d just landed on the moon. Indy appeared to be waking up from a real heater so I don’t imagine he realized the significance of people partying at 6am.

Pretty sure that policy has been relaxed because even the official website for Miami is miamioh (as in Ohio) dot edu.

1 Like

Miami used to have a hat made by “Legacy”. It had a worn block M, shallower profile. I loved that hat, but I got blood all over it. Haven’t been able to find it again…

1 Like

Are you a hit man? Asking for a friend.

2 Likes

Game Notes always carries a warning to the media - in a black box - warning them against using Miami of Ohio. That’s stupid, IMO, especially if we’re licensing shirts that say that and selling them on our own athletic sportswear site.

2 Likes

Nope. My blood.

1 Like

I think that mention in the game notes might have been geared more toward the media. For instance saying Miami of Ohio over and over again by announcers in a football game is kind of redundant when anybody tuning into the game knows which Miami it is. Mike Tirico was the biggest culprit saying continually Miami of Ohio Miami of Ohio Miami of Ohio. On the other hand, CBS can be counted on pretty much to call us Miami University.
Personally, I will never wear anything Miami of Ohio. But to each his or her own, I guess.
Interesting how this thread on the 2023 football season has turned.

3 Likes

Yeah, no, not wearing anything with Miami of Ohio.

2 Likes

It’s in the WalMart bag, along with the duct tape and the tarp. Throw away the receipt.

As someone who was in a brand related business, I will say Miami’s stewardship of its brand leaves a lot to be desired.

4 Likes

I was just going to say Miami has a branding problem ever since they embraced the “Ohio” to differentiate themselves from The U. I talk to a lot of parents of incoming students as part of my job, and 95% of the out-of-state parents call it ‘Miami of Ohio’.

1 Like

I buy a lot of Miami apparel on Ebay. Cheap

1 Like

miami hat

Does anyone know if this hat is still sold anywhere?