2023 Football Season

You are absolutely correct.

1 Like

Not selective enforcement at all. The board reviews all cases and makes a determination. They obviously did not think he had a good enough reason. Likely because he had just transferred the year before as well. There have been lots of players ruled ineligible this season for the same reason.

Ok, I said as much in my first comments that they didn’t enforce the rule for the first three years of the portal, then they announced that they would start cracking down this spring, after Kopp and everyone else had transferred. I agree they are ruling others ineligible as well, but unless I see that somebody who transferred for the third time is denied eligibility, it’s selective enforcement.

I’m not in favor of allowing multiple transfers, but the ONE circumstance that should be a waiver is when there is a coaching change and said new coach tells the team, “here is my son the starter, the rest of y’all are welcome to leave”.

3 Likes

I don’t personally disagree. Just saying the rule itself is simple. One transfer for any reason without sitting out a year. What you explained is why there is confusion. I also think the players that transferred in December-January did get caught in this new rule. There is a QB at Georgia Southern that got caught up in this exact situation. The rules in the NCAA are never enforced equally. That has always been the case. The ball was dropped by whomever at Miami told him he could transfer and play. There was no guarantee.

1 Like

Right, or they told him there was no guarantee and he’d possibly have to sit a year. We don’t actually know what was said although I would wager you are closer to knowing the truth than most people here.

1 Like

I was just looking at Toledo’s football website. I think they will be the second-best team we face this year. Maybe not much different than the Hurricanes. This Toledo team is big everywhere. They have LB as big as our starting DE. Their DLs are all over 250 pounds except one. Several over 280, 4 over 290. OL big. DBs the size of LB. It really is an impressive roster. They have players on the Jim Thorpe, Davy O’Brien, Butkus, and Biletnikoff watch lists. Matt Candle has put together, what appears on paper to be an outstanding roster. Former Miami All-MAC DL Mark Staten coaches their OL and TE. It will not surprise me in the least if they beat Illinois in their opener. Barring injuries, this Toledo team could run the table. (Except for losing to Miami!)

4 Likes

The Athletic picked Toledo over Illinois as one of the highly possible G5 over P5 upsets. One other was Coastal over UCLA. I can’t remember what the third one was.

1 Like

Yahoo Sports mentioned Toledo as a potential NY6 Bowl team

2 Likes

Phil Steele has them as the 3rd most-likely G5 team to make the NY6.

3 Likes

Death, taxes, Toledo choking in every sport when it matters.

4 Likes

I’d ask if you care to bet on it but we both know it’ll be a close shave if the Rockets lose unexpectedly

But at least they won the MACC last year to keep the greatest streak in all of sports alive

6 Likes

Just read the Advance Scout on WMU. I didn’t realize we’ve lost eight straight to the Broncos! We only scored 10 points against them last season in Oxford, and that broke our home winning streak. I certainly hope our “new offense” is vastly improved over whatever that was last year.

Over the 10-0 1968 MAC Champion Tangerine bowl team - losers to the Richmond Spiders in a ridiculously high scoring game (49-42) for that era. I watched that game on TV as a college Sophomore.

1 Like

I don’t think it will be much different. Probably under center more. 60/40 pass/run ratio. We are good as long as #5 is under center.

2 Likes

No arguments from me on basketball, but is that really the case for football under Jason Candle? They’ve probably underachieved a bit in that time, but they’ve still managed two MAC titles and a few OOC wins in that time with no losing seasons.

2 Likes

Toledo got 4 votes (T-39) in the first AP poll of the season that just came out. Neither Coral Gables or UC were among the 49 teams receiving votes.

So I’ll take that as we’re all tied for the 50th spot. Cool.

1 Like

I’m one of the few (or so it seems) that does not like the Illinois game for Toledo. People are quick to point out how much Illinois lost in the secondary and at RB. There is a good chance that the Illini are actually better at RB and have very little drop off in the secondary.

Illinois may field a stronger team than the won that won 8 games last year and didn’t lose a regular season game by more than 8 points. Bielema has compared this year’s running back group to his 2010 Wisconsin team (3 players over 1,000 yards from scrimmage) several times and also said the defensive front is as good as any he’s ever coached.

I still think Toledo has the best chance of winning the MAC West and it should be an exciting year for a number of MAC teams.

1 Like

Illinois picked up an under the radar QB from Ole Miss that I have been following for a few years. I think he will open some eyes.

3 Likes