2023 Coaching Carousel

Duke is hiring Manny Diaz for some reason.

Bob Chesney to James Madison is official.

I’m late to this, but I mentioned it somewhere else: IU has 9 conference games. Even if they go 3-0 in non-conference, name 3 conference programs they can consistently beat to become bowl eligible. I just don’t see any path there. 5 wins is their upper limit.

3 Likes

I think moving away from divisions actually helps them a lot with this. They keep their annual game against Purdue and get away from the behemoths of the Big 10 East. Looking ahead, it seems like they’ll typically have 4-6 conference games per season where they’d have a chance if they’re competent.

1 Like

No frickn way

Bronco at Wyoming! I get it! (Yellow must be at dinner)

2 Likes

I was on the world’s longest conference call, but felt a positive disturbance in the comedy force. Well done! I’m glad he’s not going to WMU!

I see maybe four Big 10 teams on this schedule that IU could possibly beat next season. Since their OOC is Western Illinois, FIU and Charlotte, they could be 7-5 and bowl eligible…

2 Likes

I understand that the PAC 10 additions will bring in tons of additional TV revenue but over the long haul can it possibly be good for bottom feeder Big 10 programs? Instead of 6-6 they are going to go 4-8 most years.

Will there alumni continue to support the program after years of sub 500 records?

The bottom nine are never going win the conference. The bottom six are going to need to play the likes of Kent State, Old Dominion and Eastern Illinois every year just to try to get bowl eligible.

Manny Diaz in at Duke.

Possibly the best hire of the cycle thus far - Jon Sumrall to Tulane. 2 yr record at Troy (where they had 3+ losing seasons in a row) was like 23-4 with 2 straight Sun Belt championships. Big win for the Wave.

2 Likes

I really think the BIG and SEC are taking schs that elevate their current value with the knowledge that several current members may not make the next cut. In Bakers new proposal there could be a few schools that choose not to continue (although I’m not sure which). This way if the current conf structure survives they’ll have enough to continue and pluck a few from other conferences (FSU, Miami (FL), UNC, etc.). They are banking on a P2 structure.

Here’s a strange turn of events!

Unfortunately not that strange. Coach Kill has had tremendous health issues in the past. I hope he’s ok.

1 Like

This might have more to do with the post-bowl game incident at UNM. Kill was totally fired up after the win at Auburn and was very positive about the future of Aggie football.

Diego Pavia, the NMSU QB at the center of the controversy between Kill and his rant about UNM, jumped in the portal yesterday afternoon.

After the sordid basketball scandal, the shooting on the UNM campus involving an Aggie player, Pavia’s alleged pissing on the Lobo’s logo and Jerry’s rant, New Mexico State is probably on drama overload.

Gene Chizik fired as DC at Carolina. Should we be worried?

My question about why there are about a dozen Alabama four stars in the portal has apparently been answered.

Urban or Harbaugh may be in the mix…interesting to see who succeeds Nick…'Bama better hire his replacement soon or the locker room come next week will be empty.

2 Likes

Lanning, Dabo, Sark, Lane and Norvell seem to be getting lots of mention.