2023 Coaching Carousel

That’s a little bit of a head scratcher to me

Better option than Chuck or Candle

2 Likes

Yeah I meant more on Cignetti’s end. Feels like he could have held out for better than IU.

2 Likes

It’s the beard and it’s Movember.

1 Like

He’s 62, so it’s pretty much now or never for getting that P5 payday.

3 Likes

Exactly. For Cignetti this is a retirement package. It does not matter how it works out. He has secured his future win or lose.

3 Likes

Not to mention that getting back to 5 to 7 wins per season will guarantee job security at IU, probably one of the lowest bars to clear among P5 programs.

2 Likes

How was Stockstill still at MTSU? Good lord… he had been there for several years when we beat him in the Go Daddy Bowl after the 2010 season.

1 Like

Mike Stoops at Kentucky has the best. $7-$8 million a season and just go a bit above .500 each season while being competitive

It IS Arkansas…… just say’in.

1 Like

Former Vandy HC Derek Mason to MTSU

1 Like

New Mexico hires Bronco Mendenhall. He finally has a job without severe recruiting constraints. He’s been at BYU and UVA.

Agree on BYU

I don’t know how much he was really restricted at UVa. I know the standards there, my eldest daughter went there, during the time Bronco was the coach.

He nearly flipped the culture on the team, reminiscent of Walker in 1990 at Miami. I was shocked to see him resign, best I read was for personal reasons

I think he is going to do very well……lighter academic standards will help but I really think it his mentality, approach and culture he will bring to bear

1 Like

I heard Mark Packer interview him once on the ACC feed while he was at UVA. He noted considerable academic constraints on recruiting at Charlottesville. He won’t have similar constraints in Albuquerque and he knows the Mountain West area.

1 Like

Yeah. That’s an easy one to say as a coach

But I don’t think UVa is much different than Duke, UNC, Wake, BC, Syracuse…… certainly haven’t heard Tony Bennett say that about basketball

But wholly agree that zero constraints at UNM….

1 Like

If Bronco had waited a few days, he could have thrown his hat in at Wyoming. Craig Bohl is retiring.

Jay Sawvel immediately promoted from DC to replace Bohl permanently.

2 Likes

That’s going to up the ante for Toledo in the Arizona Bowl!

In assistant coaching news, Collin Klein is leaving as Kansas St OC to go to Texas A&M.

1 Like

Collin is an excellent QB coach and will excel at new position.

1 Like