2023 Coaching Carousel

Lewis was the most successful coach at Kent State not named Don James. They have had 14 head coaches since James left for Washington in 1975. Lewis lead the Flashes to the only bowl victory in their history.

San Diego State under Hoke was starved for offense.

It’s not Lewis’s fault that Deion, for all his supposed recruiting prowess, was unable to assemble an offensive line. That demotion was a lot more about Shedeur, who has been perfectly fine for someone who spends half the game being sacked, not being a Heisman candidate—and Deion needing someone to blame who wasn’t Deion.

2 Likes

My bad, I read that wrong. I thought it was South Dakota….

1 Like

Lewis is all sizzle, no steak. He’ll stink.

1 Like

I got confused on the Petrino announcement, too. I thought he was already at Arkansas but he was with Jimbo. That tickled the memory for why I associated him with Arkansas. I hope his new contract has a no motorcycles clause.

1 Like

Weird that they brought back a guy as OC that had previously been head coach there. Not to mention the cloud of disgrace he left under.

1 Like

I bet that was an interesting vetting session!

Oregon State just promoted their DC, Trent Brey to Head Coach.

Lest this be interpreted as a criticism of Chuck Martin let me say I am proud to have CM as head coach. I believe he has put us in a position to be consistently competitive with the best programs in the conference and has done so in a manner that reflects well on Miami and has benefited the young men in his charge.

I believe the best coaches in the MAC since the dawn of the 21st century are Chris Creighton and Sean Lewis. Both have taken situations with little to no upside and produced winners. I ask you. Would you rather recruit young men to Ypsilanti, Kent or Oxford? Chuck took the position for a reason. I doubt he would have accepted a similar offer from EMU or Kent.

1 Like

I enjoyed your post but Lewis (results wise) doesn’t pass the eye test. The Neu Deal at BSu has better results. Yet you sure wouldn’t think to mention him in that top tier convo.
Ps, Jason Candle has been pretty great.

1 Like

Lewis is trash. Deion was right.

I’m not sure how you could have left Dave Clawson, Dave Doeren, Jerry Kill, Lance Leipold, PJ Fleck and Terry Hoeppner off that list.

5 Likes

I think it’s tough to say Lewis is one of the two best MAC coaches of the 21st century when he didn’t even turn out the best Kent team since 2012.

3 Likes

NESCADAD has a very fair point. Idiot that I am I completely forgot about Doeren and certainly should have included Fleck but thought it would take away from my hyperbolic point. :wink:

I do feel the situations with the outstanding coaches Mr. Kill and Mr. Leipold are different, however. Like Miami and Toledo i believe NIU and Buffalo have institutional advantages that should land them in the upper half of the conference virtually every year. Not so for EMU and Kent

1 Like

Lewis isn’t even the best Kent coach in the last decade. There was a guy named Darrel Hazel who went 11-3 at Kent before Purdue hired him.

Edit: and he beat #18 ranked Rutgers that year. How again is Lewis held so high?

2 Likes

And Hazell nearly had Kent in the BCS. The MAC championship game determined one of Orange Bowl participants that season.

1 Like

Rick Stockstill out at MTSU - finally.

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. 18 years I think it was? He ran Brent Dearmon ( former OC) out in favor of his son. Dearmon is an up and coming guy for sure. Huge mistake.

1 Like

The fan base in Murfreesboro has been unhappy with him for a long time.

1 Like

Indiana hiring James Madison coach per X

1 Like