2023 Coaching Carousel

Would be surprised if either Shephard or Grubb want to try to compete against their old boss from a position in Bloomington. I could see Creighton wanting it. I think Lewis would jump on it to get out of his situation in Colorado - where Prime pumped him up and then knocked him down. The whole expectation level in the B1G is about to change drastically next year with 18 teams, coast to coast conference travel and no divisions. Half the teams will have to pad their OOC schedules with CUSA, low MAC and an FCS game just to become bowl eligible.

The top half of the B1G in the foreseeable future will likely be Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, Washington, USC, Penn State, UCLA, Wisconsin and possibly Iowa.

Neu will return at Ball State

1 Like

So, if Iā€™m hearing you right (and I think I am) youā€™re saying it wonā€™t be a ā€œnewā€ day at BSu, it will be a ā€œNeuā€ day.

#excellence

I see what you did thereā€¦well played.

1 Like

Ni!

1 Like

I look forward to beating them in excruciating fashion again next year.

2 Likes

Good. He can still figure out Neu ways to choke against Miami.

1 Like

Bobby Petrino heading to Arkansas as OC.

Wasnā€™t he already there? I think this is a holdover.

1 Like

Sean Lewis to be the new head coach at SDSU. After all of that, pretty good landing spot

4 Likes

Thatā€™s perfect for him and for the Aztecs! They have been offensively challenged under both Rocky Long and Brady Hoke. They have a culture of stalwart D. Heā€™s got all the offensive firepower heā€™ll ever need sighing a three hour drive.

Thatā€™s probably the best conference for FCS. Iā€™m sure he will do well.

FCS?

How does this guy get so much hype? Heā€™s never beaten a name brand as a head coach and his best record was like 7-6. Me? I think heā€™s going to be very mediocre. Not trying to be mean, just not convinced heā€™s the next coming of Hal Mumme.

It was also at Kent State, where he had to play like 2-3 buy game per season at a historically lousy program that hasnā€™t won the MAC since the 70s. I think itā€™s a solid hire for SDSU, but he needs a good DC to succeed there.

2 Likes

My issue is none of his murdererā€™s row losses were close. If heā€™s such guru, then there would be some points on the board. Even in those losses. And itā€™s not as if he whipped the MAC. Far from it. How did he get the hype? Put another way, how is Chris Creighton not getting that gig when heā€™s actually beaten name brands and taken EMU much farther? I donā€™t get it.

Lewis has a career record of 24-31. He was 19-17 in the MAC. His best year was 7-6 with a win in the Frisco Bowl. Basically he is CM before CM really started to figure out the MAC and without the conference title.

He runs a fast tempo offense. Thatā€™s it. And it doesnā€™t really lead to great ā€” or even good ā€” results.

3 Likes

Thank you! Ps, if he was all that then Neon wouldnā€™t have dropped him. Run and Shoot is a crowd pleaser but I do sometimes wonder about how easy it is to do really well. Dino getting fired at Syracuse comes to mind. He was great at The Growling Bean and had a really good year at Syracuse. Then not much. He is a way more accomplished coach than Lewis.

I think Deion was trying to make a move to take some scrutiny off of his kid. I think itā€™s really hard to upset teams with an up-tempo offense. If you canā€™t get first downs, you end up with your defense never getting a chance to catch their breath, but if you have the talent, you end up burying teams. He also recruited really well for Kent State.

Itā€™s worth noting over the last 40 years Kent State has 7 .500 or better seasons. Lewis is responsible for 3 of those 7 and he did it in consecutive seasons. Dick Crum, who had three 10 win seasons at Miami, went 2-9, 0-11, and 5-6 at Kent.

5 Likes

Good points