2023 Coaching Carousel

RE: Linguist making more at Bama…

The MAC is definitely the Kia Rio in the FBS country club parking lot. I just read Brett Brennan was making $2.1 million at San Jose.

This is inaccurate. The clause would be that Michigan couldn’t fire him for cause for violations related to the two current investigations (cheeseburger + sign stealing).

It’s a reasonable ask imo. There’s been a recent trend of schools using NCAA violations that they’d otherwise ignore as an excuse to fire coaches without paying the buyout. At this point the NCAA processes are still ongoing, but Michigan has the relevant facts to decide if they want Harbaugh to still be the coach rather than claiming three years down the road that they actually want to fire him for cause over it.

5 Likes

Yeah, this isn’t a good HC like Wommack leaving on his own. This is a guy getting out of town before likely getting fired next season and facing meager job prospects like many other fired MAC coaches.

Like Dan Anus.

Isn’t this three straight MAC Head Coaches who left for P5 Coordinators jobs? Enos, Lewis and Linguist? I think Fleck and Liepold were the last two to get P5 head coaching jobs. Am I close?

Candle seems to be the next guy in the promotion portal but it seems like he’s stuck there.

I mean, double your pay for half the responsibility? Yes, Sir.

2 Likes

A perfect Gen Z solution…

It would work for this boomer, too.

I don’t think Linguist is getting a coordinator job.

1 Like

Isnt he co- defensive coordinator?

1 Like

Did they announce that? I must have missed it. The chatter last night was a position coach.

1 Like

“Sources”:

1 Like

My take - there are way too many people concerned about an FBS head coach taking an assistant position. Linguist has gone 4-8, 7-6, and 3-9 in three seasons. Their recruiting class was the worst in the conference and #118 nationally. Unless he had a serious turnaround this year, which seems unlikely given everyone they lost in the portal, he was going to be fired soon.

2 Likes

Yeah, if anything, it’s a shaky hire by DeBoer.

Ah…the life of an assistant coach in college.

2007 grad ass at Baylor–played there 2003-2006
2008 Valdosta State
2009-2011 James Madison
2012-2013 Buffalo
2014-2015 Iowa State
2016 Mississippi State
2017 Minnesota
2018-2019 Texas A&M
2020 Dallas Cowboys
2021 after Cowboys season ended was hired for about two months or so as co-defensive coordinator at U of Cheaters…I mean U of Michigan and shortly after hiring there took the job at Buffalo
2021-2023 Buffalo -HC
2024 Roll Tide

11 different locations in 17 years—don’t unpack all your bags and boxes unless they’re essential equipment. Kids get to see the country.

I moved seven times in the first eleven years of my non-sports-related career - including a move from Ohio to Oregon.

I attended three high schools. Lived in 15 cities, 10 states, and five foreign countries.

1 Like

I did three colleges in four years and lived in 21 cities in 7 states but never lived outside the US. I did spend so much time in Canada one year with my kid’s hockey development that I thought Ottawa was going to send me a tax bill.

College coaches don’t have much on some of us in the area of mobility.

1 Like

I graduated from Miami, took a teaching job close to home, taught for 35 years, retired and live 8 miles from the house I grew up in. I do travel more than anybody else in town or anybody I know. I figure I average about 220 nights a year in New Bremen. lol

1 Like

My recently departed 17.5yo dog lived in 13 houses/apartments in 6 cities and 3 states. The life of a ski bum is just as transient…and wasn’t as bad as it sounds. But it’s nice to be done. :wink:

2 Likes