2022 Coaching Search

I like Jermaine but again he’s an unknown as a head coach…if Sayler does go in that direction he may as well bring his wife too for a shot as the women’s hoops HC (as already touted by others on the board). One big caveat of that approach already mentioned…what if someday one of them is successful and the other is not??

Although I have talked it up a bit in past posts as a possibility to consider, I would like to assure you all that am not completely delusional and realize that Steele to Miami is a huge long shot (if it’s even on Sayler’s radar at all).

As mentioned above it does give him a chance at redemption at a former proud program that is in dire need of a jump start…and he could do it without moving if that is a big plus to his family.

Why is everyone content with a retread who took over program that had reached the tourney 14 of the last 15 years and led them to 3 straight losing seasons in conference play?

2 Likes

Is that rhetorical?

Jive: I am only suggesting that out of the possible alternatives I could see Sayler liking Steele if he could be had…this is mostly due to already being in place for recruiting etc. you make a good point that his 70-50 recorder XU is pretty pedestrian, hence he’s out looking for a job.

I just looked up his contract details and he made almost $1.3mil in 2021 so the chances of him agreeing to anything Miami was able or willing to offer are probably slim and none regardless.

But this is a sports message board where it’s a free world to endlessly speculate on possible outcomes.

Who do you like?

3 Likes

Think you’re qualified? Apply now. Jobs and Careers at Miami | Human Resources and Academic Personnel - Miami University

Listed salary range is $250k-$400k.

I’ll “refer a friend,” with the friend being Mike Krzyzewski. His “retirement” is clearly just a part of Sayler’s master plan.

I almost want to start a thread where we speculate on the most ridiculous coach choice who will be hired. My choice: Nolan Richardson. He’s darn near 80, but no coach has ever won the NCAA, NIT, and a JUCO’s national champ. He did. We’d get instant PR and the money would be no issue.

Again, I don’t want Steele, but I don’t think he’s an unrealistic hire or reach. Its not abnormal for a coach who floundered to take a big step down if thats whats available. John Groce went from Illinois back to the MAC. Archie just went from IU to URI. That’s how coaching works, you rise and fall and there’s only 350 jobs and beggers usually cant be choosers. After failing at X, I wouldn’t expect there’d be better head coaching offers out there for Steele than a MAC level job or lower.

1 Like

Think of the Steele versus Miller as we re-sign playing some Miami-X series though?!!

Excitement…okay if not Steele, can we steel Jonas Hayes or is he staying with Miller (he’s 2-0 in the NIT).

I realize you can’t hold an assistant entirely responsible for a program’s success or failure, but it is worthwhile to look at their track record. Jermaine Henderson since leaving Miami:

2013 Missouri St: 11-22 (7-11), 7/10 in MVC, 212 in Kenpom
2014 Missouri St: 20-13 (9-9), 4/10 in MVC, 157 in Kenpom
2015 Missouri St: 11-20 (5-13), 8/10 in MVC, 255 in Kenpom
2016 Cleveland St: 9-23 (4-14), 9/10 in Horizon, 290 in Kenpom
2017 Cleveland St: 9-22 (5-13), 8/10 in Horizon, 242 in Kenpom
2018 Kansas St: non-coaching admin role
2019 Kansas St: non-coaching admin role
2020 Kansas St: 11-21 (3-15), 10/10 in Big 12, 90 in Kenpom
2021 Kansas St: 9-20 (4-14), 9/10 in Big 12, 147 in Kenpom
2022 Kansas St: 14-17 (6-12), 9/10 in Big 12, 61 in Kenpom

Overall: 94-158 (.373), 43-99 (.303) in conference play, one season with a winning record, no seasons with a winning record in conference play, six straight seasons in the bottom three of the conference standings. And the last few seasons at Miami weren’t that great either.

I realize that a lot of people here remember the good ole days when we were good and Henderson was an assistant, but please be aware that you’re talking about success from close to two decades ago that hasn’t been replicated.

1 Like

Archie is making close to $2 mil per year at URI. I’ll go on record saying it’s a bad hire. Archie has success at UD because he got away with things that I’m not sure you can get away with at URI. UD will look the other way for anything if you win. That article gets ugly and it’s not the first time students were afraid of repercussions for reporting basketball players. I lived on campus at UD during the Kavanaugh incidents. It was an open secret that he was being suspended for optics and was going to come back quickly because of his family’s donations to the program.

Anyone notice anything on the flight tracker?

The only recent flight of any note is the one to Burlington, VT.

It just took off from VT now headed to Akron so I would assume someone’s spring break ski trip.

Of course it did. Akron is the South Padre Island of The Great Lakes!

1 Like

Man, Jermaine has had to get used to a lot of losing…not the best track record.

1 Like

What’s a realistic timeline for when a new HC will be named?