Billy Donlon would not be a good fit. His downfall at Wright State was too much focus on defense on not enough on shooting. In big games, he’d micromanage the team to a loss
Let’s hope DS doesn’t use B2’s search firm…'nuf said.
Doesn’t the job have to be posted for 7 days? I would think the next HC would be named after that period elapses
A lot of mixed feelings on Steele on this board.
A good deal of the negatives seem tor revolve around “we can’t get him”.
As someone else said, there are only 350 of these HC jobs. A lot easier to rehabilitate your image as a head coach in the MAC or another mid-major than as an assistant somewhere.
I might add that this guy puts Steele as most likely hire.
There was a moment after the UC game where I felt really excited about men’s hoops again. Then of course the season happened and it turned out UC wasn’t all that good and GA Tech was fools gold (not to be confused with Elvis’s favorite sandwich.) But right now, it feels so exciting again. Like with the right hire, hoops can be a source of pride and money maker. I hope others feel the same whoever gets hired.
Nick - I was researching Ohio & Miami civil service code and regs and could not find it, so I called Miami’s Human Resources office and found out that requirement is no longer in effect for Miami - the job can be filled immediately.
Hire the best candidate available. Being an alum should only sway the decision if all other aspects are equal. It doesn’t trump track record of winning, recruiting, compliance, experience, etc.
I love hiring alums - but love winning more.
Lax: I also think there has been some concern raised on the board as to Steele’s lack of success at Xavier vs. expectations.
As for the cost considerations, if Sayler decides Steele is “the guy”; maybe he could get him for a fairly low base ($500K??) with big incentives for winning the MAC, being named MAC Coach of the year, and gaining an NCAA berth, etc. (and if these incentives are earned thru success then perhaps we’ll heeled donors would want to step up).
Again, all speculation is on “if” Sayler both wants him and Steele has any interest in the job. As you pointed out, Miami would be a pretty good spot to prove his mettle and resurrect his coaching career At the D1 level. Lotsa upside here for him.
Travis Steele is simply not a good basketball coach.
We don’t want him.
Anyone who watched Xavier in February, and still wants him to be our coach is a masochist.
Why will no one answer?
If you’re in favor of Steele, can you please state why?
I’ll throw out a name-Jon Borovich.
Northwestern asst., played at Central Michigan, strong Midwest coaching resume.
Chuck Martin is leaving for UMass???
The last decade has had two (2) coaching staffs that have had very little connection to the State of Ohio and its recruiting area. John Cooper had no connection. His staff had none. Jack Owens did recruit Ohio while at Purdue. Not sure how much JO’s staff knew about Ohio prior to coming to Miami.
I believe that Jack Owens was touted as a very good recruiter when he was hired at Miami. I don’t doubt it. However, that reputation was gained while he had a Purdue emblem on his sweatshirt. That emblem can walk into any HS gym in the country and garner respect. It recruits itself. Guys like Boals, Senderoff, Groce know Ohio recruiting and have been kicking Miami’s butt in Ohio.
Is knowing Ohio recruiting important? Is having deep relationships in Ohio important? I believe so. I believe it makes a big difference.
If Steele is the next coach, I’d want to know the same thing. I hear he’s a great recruiter. He’s been doing that with a big X on his sweatshirt. How will he do with the Miami “M”?
I can. Guy has won at a higher level against better teams and has more wins in one season than some of our coaches have had in 2. Plus, tons of top players there say he helped build their games. Something lacking in our program. Great article that brings this up in today’s Cincy Enq.
He could recruit with an X on his shirt…and claim to be the “X-Factor” at Miami.
For that matter, why not wear a Gongaza shirt. The Zags draw attention.
Just wear a shirt that says: “Come play at my school.”
We need to get some kids from out-of-the-country…build a pipeline to Senegal, Spain (Wally?), time to think big and outside the box.
We recruited Wally when he was in New York. I’m not sure how to address the argument that we need to build a pipeline overseas. We’ve had multiple internationals over the last several years.
Just out of curiosity, how many standout internationals played in the MAC this year?
Where did he win? He won 45% of his games against conference opponents. Jack won 40%.
Either hire an assistant from somewhere (who is an unknown) or a proven winner HC.
Steele is not a winner.
During the Coles era I questioned why Miami had such a lack of foreign players, compared to what seemed to be happening at other schools. Eventually we did get a decent representation, but with the emphasis Miami puts on studying abroad, it would be nice to get some kind of dedicated resource in place.
Idc where talent comes from. A coach has to have a steady pipeline somewhere. I thought Jack was going to be great in Indiana, and he was for a little bit.
I’m only one person but if he ended up in Oxford, I’m opening a nice bottle to celebrate. Now, if you have a direct line to coach K and can convince him to come to Oxford for his retirement and help rebuild the program, I’m all ears.
