2022 Coaching Search

Here’s an outside of the box thought.

Hire Bruce Weber who is 65 and have him coach for 2 to 3 years, with Jermaine as his top assistant. Then when Weber retires for good, hand over the job to Henderson.

3 Likes

I share your vision. Although I would be just as happy if it was Bruce Campbell.

1 Like

Agreed. Can you do Henderson next?

1 Like

You know the program’s in a rough place when someone jokingly says that we’re hiring someone to mock the idea of that person becoming a head coach and we mistake it for a real rumor and start getting excited for the hire.

3 Likes

John Cooper will not be hired…the Weathers twins have “finally” exhausted their eligibility.

2 Likes

Based on his description/title, it sounded like he is currently an assistant coach there. If that is the case, please tell me why he would be a bad hire?

I thought about Pegues before this all happened, but it looks like he’s a finalist for the GW job.

1 Like

What about making a play for Pat Kelsey?

2 Likes

I doubt he’d leave the College of Charleston after just one season.

Given our history with Herb and his continued success, any of his assistants would be worth talking to if that’s an option.

Find Herb!

1 Like

Would love for someone to answer this.

1 Like

Most of that 15 year run was when they were in the A10, which is a different beast than the Big East. Steele’s entire tenure as head coach was in the Big East. And they weren’t that bad. They won 19+ games every season, except for the 2021 covid season where they went 13-8. Their worst record in conference play was 8-11. Not that the MAC is easy to win in, but he should presumably do better here relative to the competition, which would make us a conference contender. And worst case, if it doesn’t pan out, we still get new facilities out of the deal.

New facilities, huh? So Miami will profit mightily from hiring him? I’m certain this would be in the contract and guaranteed because his wife’s family has money!!

1 Like

I’ll always push for Joe Lombardi from IUP, but he’s probably not leaving there…

That would be a show in itself. I was at a tournament a number of years ago when Martin was at Kansas state. He got on the elevator with me. I asked “how is the team looking, Coach?” Martin, gruffly and loudly: “some of them don’t even know their own names!“

3 Likes

I agree it’s a pretty big leap to somehow expect Travis Steele’s wife/family to throw money at Miami in what he is probably hoping would be 3-4 year stint before moving back into a lucrative P5 job for big money (should he be successful at Miami).

At the same time, his contacts for recruiting and fund raising in Ohio (and particularly Cincinnati) would likely prove beneficial on both fronts.

Back to other prospects: Dane Fife is certainly intriguing as he has D1 coaching experience at IUFW and eventually turned them into a decent program w 18 wins his last year …not sure the why of his short tenure at IU, though.

That’s up there in celebrity elevator stories. My father-in-law was on an elevator with Peter Dinklage, he glanced at him for a sec so Peter said “what, you’ve never seen a little person before?” to which my FIL said “no, I’ve just never been the tallest person in an elevator.” Peter apparently got a big kick out of that one.

6 Likes

Been busy, but see that this happened… I’d be down with Steele, a long shot, but you never know with ties to the area…nice family and think he’s a good coach.

It will be interesting to see where this lands…but I think it’s clear that coaching was holding Miami back.

Feel bad for Damon…and wish no ill will of course to Jack and staff, but they had five years to show progress and all we saw was less Purdue tweets. Think they had a fair shot to get it done.

I believe that I was the first person on this board to suggest that Steele becoming available COULD give Sayler more options.

That was due to the fact that he would have a pretty good buyout and the fact that his wife’s family is prominent in the area community. The point was that Travis would have a lot of reasons to stay around for a chance to rehabilitate his reputation. His buyout dollars might also allow that occur.

I think it is fanciful to think his wife’s family would step up to re-do MIllett or throw a lot of big money at the program. However, if a little money was required to make sure their daughter and son-in-law stay closer to home that might be something Sayler could work with.

No idea if any of this played into Sayler’s thinking. However, is it a coincidence that nothing happened on the status of Owens until that shoe dropped? Perhaps DS was just lining up approvals upstairs and figuring out how to pay off Owens in the week or so we expected something to happen.

We likely will never know.

I just hope we get the right guy this time.

Chet Mason pulling for Henderson:

2 Likes