2022-23 Miami MBB Roster

Can someone clarify how so many have been in the portal two times or more?

I thought the new transfer rule with the portal was to be a one time ability to transfer without sitting out.

Has that been overriden by some type of Covid exception.

Will the one-time rule come back starting next year?

This is insanity.

The one-time rule is what’s in effect, but it didn’t take effect until mid-2021. So the guys you see in the portal at multiple places now either (1) got a waiver or (2) already transferred once and sat, and are now transferring a second time without sitting (since as of last year you can transfer once without sitting).

1 Like

FWIW, stat guru Bart Torvik (who was once my mentor at work!) has compiled a list of everyone in the portal who accumulated a single countable stat last year. Over half played less than 20% of the available minutes on the season. Link goes to that chart.

4 Likes

TheChuck, all I can say about this is one thing: SCIENCE!

Dolby would be proud.

Poetry in Motion!

1 Like

SR (1) : (G) 5-8 Mekhi Lairy

JR (4) : (F) 6-8 Javin Etzler, (F) 6-7 Luka Eller, (F) 6-7 Kamari Williams, (F) 6-8 Anderson Mirambeaux

SO (3) : (F) 6-7 Curtis Harrison, (G) 6-1 Marr Avance, (G) 6-6 Julian Lewis

FR (5) : (C) 6-11 Jackson Ames (Redshirt/Covid), (G) Bryson Tatum (Redshirt/Covid), (F) 6-8 Mitchell Rylee, (G) 6-7 Billy Smith, G 6-5 Ryan Mabry

I thought Luka Eller was confirmed to be in the portal?

…one site has him in the portal…one does not. I kept him on the roster but everything is TBD.

1 Like

Dae Dae hasn’t committed anywhere else yet, right?

I am pretty pleased with what Coach Steele and Summers have been able to do in a short period of time…brought in a promising guard, a 6-4 shooter, and a (really) big guy to develop. Not bad…after all, many good transfers may not be flocking to Miami given our recent track record. Hopefully Coach Steele will be turning that around quickly…

1 Like

Most optimistic I’ve been about Miami basketball since 2007.

Brief period of optimism shortly after Jack Owens was hired, but it died in year 2 of his tenure.

2 Likes

I feel like people forget how much optimism there was going into year 2 of Jack’s tenure. In the season prediction thread, a staff member on a burner posted that we’d win 25 games and be conference champs and it didn’t even seem out of place.

4 Likes

Did year 2 begin with the game at Butler, or was that year 3? I remember giving up a lot of hope after watching that game.

So, play a guy for 2 min., then sit him and he can’t transfer?

2 Likes

Updated with Jackson Ames in portal.

JR (4) : (F) 6-8 Javin Etzler, (F) 6-7 Luka Eller, (F) 6-7 Kamari Williams, (F) 6-8 Anderson Mirambeaux

SO (3) : (F) 6-7 Curtis Harrison, (G) 6-1 Marr Avance, (G) 6-6 Julian Lewis

FR (4) : (G) Bryson Tatum (Redshirt/Covid), (F) 6-8 Mitchell Rylee, (G) 6-7 Billy Smith, G 6-5 Ryan Mabry

Luka Eller to John Carroll

Updated with Luka Eller transferring to John Carroll

JR (3) : (F) 6-8 Javin Etzler, (F) 6-7 Kamari Williams, (F) 6-8 Anderson Mirambeaux

SO (4) : (F) 6-7 Curtis Harrison, (G) 6-1 Marr Avance, (G) 6-6 Julian Lewis; (G) Bryson Tatum (Redshirt/Covid),

FR (3) : (F) 6-8 Mitchell Rylee, (G) 6-7 Billy Smith, (G) 6-5 Ryan Mabry

1 Like

Much props to him. That’s a damn good school and he will be a star contributor. I’m pulling for them to make a run in the D3 tourney.

1 Like

Good luck to Eller and JCU is a very good division 3 school

But if there was any better indication that we needed a change is that we had a guy that played occasionally in meaningful minutes and transferred to D3

3 Likes