2022-23 Miami MBB Roster

Luka Eller had multiple MAC offers and is second all time in scoring in the Cleveland area. Let’s not act like he wasn’t a solid get. Not all recruits pan out.

3 Likes

So how many ships are available? Any word on Grant?

I remember he had a good high school career-although I also thought he took a 3-1 arrangement- But my point is that he was playing in games last year when it mattered

1 Like

He was?.. we had a ton of guys hurt, buy what were his highest minutes in a game?

Think he could certainly contribute at D2…without question wheres he’s going, but seemed a fringe DI player unless he converted to a undersized post/ block player…was too slow at 3 spot.

1 Like

3 available. He committed to Duquesne today

1 Like

I’d place Tatum at soph, that’s how Miami shows him…he’s only at rfrosh if Steele would extend an extra year offer…so TBD based on what he brings to the floor.

The recruiting fell off significantly in the final 2 years of Jack Owens, and Jackson Ames/Luka Eller are the best examples of it. I’m not disappointed to see the new coaching staff trying to overhaul the roster quickly.

2 Likes

I think the coach has to make it his own. As I said before, even if next year is bleak (and it won’t be because our ceiling has been 13 wins) it will radically improve. We will perhaps have a thin line up but that’s ok. This thing will get better.

1 Like

Oh well then forget my idea to start a religion in honor of Dae dae. That ship has sailed. Jokes aside, I wish him well. On to the new for all.

1 Like

Look, I know Miami isn’t a desirable place to be right now, but freaking Duquesne? They won 1 conference game all season in the A-10, and this isn’t even the good Xavier-led A-10. The team lost their final 17 games and finished 6-24. Is this just to be closer to home?

Home…Dae Dae family move?

Thought he was from Dayton area…maybe Cleveland, which would be closer.

Looks like Dusquene is only 2hours from home…may have factored in R65.

2 Likes

Dae Dae is from Lorain. That is by Cleveland but west of it. Not much closer

Yeah…was thinking that was north of Dayton for some reason, between Dayton and Toledo…anyway, it is pretty easy to get down to Pittsburgh from Cleveland.

And he’s going to a situation where he’ll be the star…Dusquene may have been bad, but you can turn it around in one year these days…so maybe that was enough for Dae Dae…watch Ames head there as well.

If Ames is Locklier part deux…that would suck. Locklier was a pretty bigtime recruit, so that is a stretch…for all we know Ames goes Eller route.

The $45 million arena they opened in 2021 probably didn’t hurt their case.

1 Like

Exactly…potentially be on a bad team in MAC with not many people watching or bad team in A-10 with shiny new facility closer to home…not sure if he was able to get a Miami degree…if so…win-win for him.

Miami just has to focus on getting better, which Steele will do.

1 Like

That’s nice for him. My daughter goes to John Carroll. Nice school so far. They have pretty good facilities for a D3 school. Miami-JCU connections, my daughter is on the rowing club. One of the girls from the club is transferring from JCU to go to Miami. And JCU’s football stadium is Shula Stadium.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why skins has this fascination with Ames. In two seasons he played 89 minutes (about 40% of which were against D3 opponents). He only shot 30% from the floor and averaged as many fouls as points. I suppose someone might take a flier on him as a 6’11 guy, but I’d be surprised to see him go D1.

1 Like

Hardly a fascination…like RedSea and I’m sure others that follow basketball…I saw enough in his mobility and combination of height that think he could have been a very serviceable interior defender when we match up against the like.

We never really saw Ames…in the one game, in limited minutes against UC he held his own in paint, had some rebounds and a block.

You are too caught up in the numbers QB, Ames never played enough to establish any of significance.

Hopefully with the ships avail, Steele makes some more moves and it will be non-issue, but Ames appeared as a serviceable piece of the puzzle.

1 Like

I would have to imagine Steele had heard of Ames while he was at X. A 6’11” guy in your backyard doesn’t go unnoticed.

1 Like

Of course…and Steele had access to elite players @ X…

That said it may not end up being an issues in any way or even up to Steele, Jackson is gone on what appears his own decision (who knows).

All I’m saying is this is Jackson’s line in three games against D1 opponents where he played more than 1 min (Lamar, Western IL, and UC).

Ames = 8min ~3pts, ~3rbs ~1.5 blks

His numbers above, suggest that there’s something there over 15-20 minutes…who knows, maybe he heads the D2/D3 route.

It will be interesting to see if there are more transfers, as we have a 6-6/7-ish ~290-300 lbs kid coming in, and Mitchell Rylee (frosh) along with Harrison…who are two 6-7 225-230 type PFs.