What's in a name

Complaining about a high school kid getting it backwards is immature and comes across as being insecure. If you’re local it’s just Miami. You think coral gables fans complain when a recruit says Miami University? Hardly. We have a new DE commit who’s excited to be here over a lot of other schools. Happy he flipped to us.

New board and the moderation has been very lax. I will say this once. I’m not going to let something sit around that even gives the impression of being condescending towards a high schooler looking to advance their life and career at Miami.

@AGC

6 Likes

Like I said in my previous post, really happy to have him. If my post came across as condescending, that was totally not the intention…I never speak out about what our university’s name is, and I’ll save those thoughts for other forums on here, not to be mixed up with our recruits. Once again happy to have him, and look forward to his growth.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I tried to clarify that I didn’t think your post was bad, it was just part of a thread with a bad start. I tagged you to give a heads up I was clearing that thread.

Completely agree with you though. We’ve had some great DEs from Cincinnati come through and Joshua looks capable of continuing that tradition!

1 Like

Backwards and immature? Lol. Whatever your majesty. Your board your rules.

1 Like

I said immature and insecure. Pick any D1 school and there’s a recruit who flipped where the university goes. A lot of high school kids don’t realize there’s a difference. You’re the one who decided it deserved a post that could come across as insulting.

1 Like

Again, my bad. I just find highly disrespectful when people get the name of 200+ year old institution wrong. Anyway, I would humbly suggest a pinned post with all the rules we should obey. It is not the first time someone (myself included) complains about a person calling us University of Miami.

Hindsight is 20/20 but they probably should have named our beloved Alma Mater either Talawanda University or perhaps The University of Western Ohio back in 1809. Either that or we should have trademarked the name Miami before the real estate developers began naming towns in Florida.

I only wish the coaches (if notified before the tweet) would make sure the player uses the correct name. It’s arguably the most important tweet a recruit will send in their lives. Help them make sure it’s correct. They might look back at it years from now and wish they knew the proper name of the institution they chose. You can’t really blame the kid for not knowing before he ever takes a class.

2 Likes

If the kid tweets “committed to Miami Of Ohio,”…I see no problem with it. That’s how a lot of people still recognize us for past athletic achievements.

I’m confident he/she will tweet in four years “Loved my time at Miami University.”

4 Likes

Or - like me - he might proudly wear a Miami of Ohio button like the one I bought at the Shriver Center Book Store in 1969. I’ve still got mine and I’ll damned well wear it to every Miami sporting event.

2 Likes

Same here. My issue (and deleted post by the forum owner) is with “University of Miami Ohio”. Do you know how they call our campus in Hamilton? Miami University Hamilton. By saying University of Miami Ohio it sounds like we are a regional campus of the other Miami.

2 Likes

I’ve moved this to a new thread. Like I said, the other thread is for discussing recruiting, not the name of the university.

Wonderful.

THIS is when the new board officially becomes, simply, the board!

4 Likes

Hells yeah, we some straight up MofOs up in here.

Seriously, I always wanted a Game MOFO bar hat. Some fraternity guy had one back in my day.

4 Likes

I once had a hat that said: “world’s #1 PM Dawn fan.” It wasn’t true, but I still wore the hat.

1 Like