Welcome to Miami, Travis Steele

The last comments are good enough for me…and I know him a little bit…he is a good guy, and that goes along way in these times…as for growing as ahead coach, that typically happens, so I doubt he’ll be stubborn…it’s part of the process (he had a 3.5 year gig in the BE).

To be fair, Xavier’s best adjustment was sadly no Paul Scruggs, but it made the team play more together. Fair or not…but not dictated by a coach. That said Jonas did an awesome job, congrats to you all…my son, brother and myself were watching the last seconds with intent…great game in the Garden!

2 Likes

I have always pulled for X when they weren’t playing us…no doubt comes from growing up in Cincy and attending both football (yes, Xavier had a D1 football team and many of our Mariemont HS graduates played there), and basketball games there as a youth.

3 Likes

Development: “We’ve gotta get a heck of a lot better. Gotta get in the gym right away. There’s no magic pixie dust to make you better.”

Recruiting: “There’s a ton of talent in this area [lists cities]. The Miami brand speaks really well. We have to take advantage of that.”

1 Like

First question comes from a player from Miami-Hamilton who introduces himself and I think is auditioning for a job on staff? “I’m not going to commit a NCAA violation on Day 1, it’s a dead period, but it’s nice to meet you.”

First impression is very strong. Has a vision and appears to understand types of student athletes who will buy in to the Miami brand

1 Like

I was only half listening, but it sounded like Sayler mentioned that the 6 seniors were all moving on, so a lot of roster spots to fill.

1 Like

Agreed FL. Excited to have Coach Steele on board.

Sounded like he’s looking for a walk on spot

1 Like

First class impression at the press conference.

Steele projects confidence that he knows what he is doing because he has been doing this a long time and knows what he has to do.

Articulate and polished. After being through the media microscope of the Big East this press conference had to be a refreshing break. A lot of softball questions.

Time to get to work and get it done.

1 Like

I know nothing about hoops although I have been helping to coach my six year old’s team (early days but the kids aren’t on to me yet so going ok) anyhow, my two cents:
Might make sense to get transfers this year before relying on high school talent. Builds a style and wins faster? This might not be true so feel free to tell me if not as I am very fascinated by this.

You’d think they’d have the softball coach answer the softball questions. They seem to expect Steele to do it all.

Anyone know if the presser will be archived/available later? Was anyone here at it?

Each coach has their own strategy. There’s a large school of thought that you can’t bring transfers in to a program that doesn’t have a winning culture; it takes players being around more than one year to build a program where seniors are showing freshmen what’s expected of them if they want to see the court and what it takes to win. There’s a smaller school of thought that bringing transfers in can get quick wins which makes it easier to bring in better freshmen.

My guess is Steele will evaluate the roster, meet with them, and go from there. Sounds like he’s already done step one based on how much Miami film he said he’s been watching the past couple of days.

1 Like

Interesting and thanks much

I am expecting a lot of turnover to the roster

1 Like

What’s the actual roster situation? The Covid year has made tracking eligibility a chore.

Is lairy done? Is ICL? I know they were both honored at senior night

I feel like Lairy and Grant would be quality pieces Travis could work with. And the transfer from BC. Those guys look like they could play at many fine schools.

I attended the presser - Steele makes a very good impression in-person. He displays energy, confidence, and is a polished speaker. I believe that his strengths are in the area of being an ambassador for the program - building it like a CEO and recruiting top talent. I think he can sell Miami well - embrace the positives a bit like Chuck Martin does. That is what we need urgently - someone who can sell MU to young men and then get some traction going concurrently while we generate funds for the facility.

9 Likes

At the press conference, it was stated that 6 seniors were graduating.

However, the Miami on-line roster has been updated for next season already, and only 5 players are missing. There are 12 players listed for next year - the 2 walk-ons and 10 scholarship players.

2022-23 Men’s Basketball Roster
# FULL NAME POS. HT. WT. ACADEMIC YEAR HOMETOWN / HIGH SCHOOL PREVIOUS SCHOOL
24 Marr Avance G 6-1 178 So. Indianapolis, Ind. / Lawrence North
30 Bryson Tatum G 6-4 180 So. Urbana, Ill. / Urbana
35 Curtis Harrison IV F 6-7 225 So. Cincinnati, Ohio / Seven Hills/Dohn Prep
1 Kamari Williams F 6-7 175 Jr. Sandy Spring, Md. / St. Andrew’s Episcopal Boston College
14 Luka Eller F 6-7 220 Jr. Mentor, Ohio / Lake Catholic
21 Jackson Ames C 6-11 255 Jr. Batavia, Ohio / West Clermont
0 Javin Etzler F 6-8 215 R-Jr. Convoy, Ohio / Crestview
3 Dae Dae Grant G 6-2 185 Sr. Lorain, Ohio / Lorain
15 Jackson Kenyon F 6-8 215 Sr. Deerfield, Ill. / Deerfield
25 Wil Stevens G 6-5 185 Sr. Chicago, Ill. / Brooks School (Mass.)
22 Myja White G 6-1 185 R-Sr. Terre Haute, Ind. / Brebeuf Jesuit
2 Mekhi Lairy G 5-8 140 5th

They have a 2022-23 roster up on the website. Lairy is listed as a 5th year senior, but all other seniors have been removed. No other changes as of yet. By my count, 10 returning scholarship players plus the two current commits, which would leave one additional scholarship open (plus any additional scholarships that open up in the coming days).

Just a WAG, but I would think 4-5 of those currently roster-listed will not be there this coming fall.

1 Like