We should have beat Buffalo today!

We let that one get away today at Buffalo. We are a better team than we showed.

Not sure we were the better team because we keep losing games this way, but I would agree we should have won this game. 240 rushing yards and we freaking lose and only score 20 points.

2 Likes

You and I are in agreement that we probably won’t beat anybody who scores more than 20 points against us. That seems to be our offensive ceiling. Like I said earlier in another post.our offense isn’t Iowa yet but we’re moving in that direction…

1 Like

Defense plays good enough to win. We are one dimensional on offense.

1 Like

We have to open up the offense. Throw the ball downfield.

2 Likes

Aveon Smith can’t throw the ball downfield.

7 Likes

The word “downfield” was unnecessary and, in fact, quite reductive.

4 Likes

I wonder who is evaluating the quarterback room. Billy Bahl was playing over Gus Ragland. Jackson Williamson was playing over Aj Mayer. I hope that Hesson or Humphries can sling it better than what we are seeing now. The quality of qb play at that position is giving us little margin for error.

3 Likes

This is true…but down seam to TE is probably best bet…not seeing much of that.

Aveon had 120 yards, he’s probably good for max of 175, we ran for 250+ and lost…b/c we got nothing on last two drives and stupid play calling from inside redzone on our last scoring possession (fg)…

In the end coaching failed us, and well our cb (Mckee) got completely fooled on last UB td, as well. Miami should have won this 27 - 24 or 27 - 20…had this score dialed in.

If they figure it out vs Kent all forgotten I suppose, but think it needed to be other way around, Kent is going to put up too many points…really think we need two QB system.

This was just a classic Chuck collapse.

2 Likes

Running a stupid double reverse in the Red Zone is something I’ve never seen any college or pro team do in all my years of watching football (if it occurred, I have blessedly forgotten who had tried it previously)…especially when you have gotten there with a strong run game…and have run in down the throat of Northwestern in the Red Zone for a TD a week ago.

6 Likes

Coaching, coaching, coaching.

The reason we are here is Chuck idiotically leaving Gabbert in the game at UK. If he’s healthy, we don’t need to run some idiotic double reverse!

6 Likes

That is a great point @19goSkins . I think I am realizing this morning that I have been in denial about our loss of Brett this year. The expectation that Miami would win the MAC East was clearly based on Gabbert. Minus Gabbert, the East is a tossup. I know it is early in conference season and Miami has a shot. However, I believe 3 other teams have as good a shot as Miami; maybe 4 other teams: This is NOT where I would have expected Miami to be in the 9th year of Coach’s tenure here.

5 Likes

Morning. Just a casual observer of Miami athletics. Having watched Miami games this year, I really don’t think this team will have sustained success with a QB that quite frankly, can’t throw. Even the completions he makes are not good throws and do not allow the WR/TE/RB to do anything meaningful after the catch. Meaning, yards after the catch. We hear often how good Miami’s recruiting is, so either that is an exaggeration, the coaches have failed to recruit the QB position adequately to be prepared for the starter going down, or the bodies are in the room and for some unexplainable reason the staff continues to go with a very limited QB option. And to be clear, I don’t fault Aveion Smith. He is doing the best he can. But honestly, he is a RB playing QB. As a fan it is frustrating to see very winnable games lost. And yes yesterday’s game was fraught with mistakes. Miami’s defense has been extremely good this year, with some lapses as any D will have. But they certainly played well enough to win. But you won’t win games scoring 20 or fewer points every game. The other weapons are there-RB, WR, TE. OL has been solid. Sadly they are being underutilized because the QB can’t make the plays. And speaking of plays, Koehler’s play calling leaves much to be desired. And what Chuck does in his ill timed time outs remains a mystery. I just hope Chuck Martin doesn’t just bull ahead with the current situation and not at least explore some other options that give Miami a better chance to put points on the board.

8 Likes

For the fossils on the board, I see a lot of resemblance between Sherman Smith and Aveon Smith, aside from the last name and a similar build. Sherman played QB for us in a two QB scheme where he was the run first guy. He was drafted by the Seahawks as a WR and immediately converted to a RB where he became the the franchise’s all-time leading rusher until Shaun Alexander came along 20 plus years later. Aveon is electric in the running game - big, powerful, elusive and fast. His passing mechanics are so awkward that I can’t see him ever being a threat in that area.

4 Likes

Good points made and what mystifies me is that we have not seen another QB rotate in on passing downs…as stated above, if we don’t have a young kid down the depth chart that can’t throw better than Aveon, well, that’s a big problem.

It has been apparent since Brett went down we need a two QB system with Aveon’s limited accuracy and decision making (when passing). Yet not one series given to one of our other QB back ups…deflating.

4 Likes

We’ve got at least three highly touted QB in the room who can sling the ball - Hesson, Edwards, Humphreys and McLeod. Only Hesson has seen the field - and that was for one late game series against Robert Morris. I think Chuck has clearly decided to stay with Aveon at QB win or lose.

We almost lost him to a possible concussion on the tackle he tried to make after the interception when he took a knee in the back. That was a scary situation.

1 Like

Hesson looked good in what limited action he saw. Humphreys looks like a true dual threat. Just playing them in spots may help.

1 Like

With the portal available, we may not find out. If Hesson can play., why stay if they won’t give you a chance?

1 Like

OC is an idiot. The 1st first and goal playing was beyond stupid. Smith is great on the run but he can’t t pass .

I predict we’re going to lose at least two of the guys in the QB room to the portal in November. I hope I’m wrong but it seems to be the trend. 67 FBS QB transferred in the last period.

2 Likes