We play Rider, champion of the NEC

The NCAA has gone to a new format this year, so the first round games are on neutral fields( which are the home field of the highest seeded teams). If you win the first round game, you then play the next game on the same field. So we are playing Rider at Northwestern ( defending national champion, we just lost to them 3-1) and the winner of Miami-Rider plays at Northwestern. Rider game is at 3:00 on Nov 9( Wednesday) with streaming arrangements to be announced.

Miami vs Rider seems to be the equivalent of the March Madness play-in games in Dayton. Either Rider or Miami must be the lowest seed in the tournament. Looks like it might be us.

I actually think the fact we have played NW is a huge advantage to the team as they will not be intimidated by them. It’s a huge upset opp. Provided we best Rider.

2 Likes

Miami is #25 in the most recent poll (Nov. 6th). Tournament teams not ranked in the Top 25 are Delaware, Lehigh, and Rider (all play-in teams with Miami). In the Top 25, but not in the tournament are #12 Harvard, #14 UCONN, #16 Old Dominion, #17 Boston College, #18 Rutgers, #20 UMass, #21 Cow College of Columbus, #22 Stanford, #23 Temple, and #24 Cornell.

Miami is 1-4 against the tournament field and the current Top 25 with the lone win coming against Cow College of Columbus. Three of the four losses were by scores of 0-1 and 1-2 (vs. Harvard, Michigan, and Virginia).

3 Likes

We were close to greatness all season. Time to get hot at the perfect time!

Yep. We played an insane schedule this season both to get us ready for this (which I think it did) and to set us up for a regular seed if we were successful (which we weren’t, quite, so we’re stuck in the play-in yet again). But whatever happened during the regular season with that out-of-conference murderer’s row, it’s the tournament now. Hope we use what we learned and kick ass.

5 Likes

Thank goodness for Title XIX! Our women’s programs - particularly field hockey and softball - are currently our flagship programs for Miami’s athletics high performance - along with Cross Country.

Beat Rider!

XIX ?

IX. I’m still on Tramadol.

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for that link. I pulled up the stream just in time to see Miami jump on top 1-0 midway thru 1st quarter.

4 Likes

Luli Rosso scores and we go up 3-0 late in the first period.

2 Likes

Garcia scores on a penalty shot and it is 4-0 Miami. They had 2 yellow cards giving us an 11-9 player edge.

And now it is 5-0 and Garcia has 3 goals!!!

2 Likes

Miami women’s field hockey… We’re on a mission from God!

5-0 at the half.

1 Like

6-0 on a rebound goal by Berta Mata, her first goal of the season.

1 Like

7-0 Miami as freshman Abbey Moore get her first goal of the season.

1 Like

7-0 Miami at the end of the 3rd quarter.

1 Like

We need to save some goals for Northwestern.

3 Likes