We are going bowling!

Interesting Bowl sponsorship/venue announcement…

The Cure Bowl in Orlando has announced its principle sponsor is Tailgreeter, a sports-related, Chicago-based tech company. It also announced the December 17 bowl game will be played in the new Explora Soccer Stadium in the entertainment district of downtown Orlando. They won’t be playing it in Camping World Stadium, the old Tangerine Bowl Stadium where Miami beat Georgia and South Carolina. We’ve been mentioned as a possible entry into the Cure Bowl.

2 Likes

I always get The Cure Bowl confused with The Smiths Bowl.

5 Likes

OK, here we go! Brett McMurphy updated the bowl projections today after adding in the new Texas Bowl.

He has us facing Georgia State in the Camellia Bowl with Georgia State a 3 point favorite. He has Ball State in the Myrtle Beach Bowl vs. ODU.

1 Like

I live very close to the new soccer stadium in Orlando. Very nice… My wife and I are driving to OH for the holiday . We leave on Dec 18 so if that is Miami’s bowl I will attend.

1 Like

I saw that Cincy and I hope he’s wrong. Montgomery is a 9 hour drive and I’ll have company here for Christmas thd need to fly out of Wilmington on Dec 26. I am pretty certain I can do Boca, Orlando and Myrtle but I don’t think Montgomery on Christmas Day is doable. The main tourist draw for me in Montgomery would the civil rights cites and I’m guessing they’re all closed that weekend.

Any bowl we play in would be great, but if I had my wish, it would be the bowl with the most ridiculous name. That should be the clause for 6-6 teams. That said, bring on The Beef-O-Brady or Pulan Weed Eater bowl

2 Likes

The Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl was my all time favorite. But the R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl is a close second.

2 Likes

The Zaxbies Heart of Texas bowl is also ridiculous.

1 Like

Isnt the mist ridiculous the bowl game named for Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl

5 Likes

I totally forgot about that one!

1 Like

I’m disappointed that our St. Pete game I’m 2016 wasn’t the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl yet.

1 Like

That was an amazing game. UT had a stud running back named Washaun Tait who went off that day.

1 Like

Yep. The OT thing caught everyone by surprise. As people were starting to leave when it looked like a tie was inevitable, the stadium announcer came on an told us that the NCAA would be testing the new OT rules in the bowl season that would be going into effect in the ‘96 season. He explained how it would work. People came scurrying back to their seats.

1 Like

Profholt82

Here’s the kid! File it under Great Moments in MAC Football!

1 Like

When we gonna hear from Chuck about our bowl opportunity?

1 Like

There is an interview on you tube of Chuck, Sorenson, and Weatherford. They are excited and happy about the trip and the opportunity. Chuck pointed out that we have finals week and then national signing day and lots of late recruiting going on, plus some extra weeks of practice. the team is happy to go to a different part of the country…by far most of the players have never been to Texas. Chuck was happy with the date, allowing them to give the guys some time off for finals and allow the coaches to recruit, then they can still get in the extra practice time to be ready to play and to do some developmental work with the younger guys.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, Dick!

1 Like

Plus he said they are happy they get to be home for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day…sounds like it worked out nicely. Now we just need a win!

Here’s hope ESPN is currently showing it in their bowl line up.

Here’s an updated version. Obviously they have everything pretty much all ready for the Dec 21 Tropical Smoothie Bowl, including fan apparel purchase links. Looks like they’re scrambling to replicate that stuff on the Frisco Football Classic side of things. It also looks like they’re working to pair the two games, and that makes sense in order to appeal to as many local general Dallas Metroplex football fans as possible.

I don’t see anything in terms of team events for the Smoothie side so maybe they’re not going to be event-laden bowls. Maybe that’s still under construction for both bowls and perhaps those events aren’t going to be publicized to the general public. Glad we’re going somewhere! Beat UNT!