UMass

Hope Chuck is watching the game against NMSU as I am. I don’t think they are a guaranteed win after watching them today.

2 Likes

They are much improved - flew all the way out to the desert and beat a Jerry Kill team that went 7-5 and beat BG in a bowl game last season. UMass QB is quite respectable…

2 Likes

So I have watched both the 28 minute highlight film and this shorter 9 minute film. A few observations:

1. Simpson, #8, an Arizona transfer is a big focus of UMASS offense.
  2. The QB, #3, can and likes to run. We will need to keep him contained.
  3. UMASS has good speed on offense, but not as much on D.
  4. UMASS does seem susceptible to the run. Although Wooden is a load in the middle of their D.
1 Like

I think if our O line handles their business and gives Brett time he will pick these guys apart. Definitely agree with the QB assessment. DE’s have to keep him inside. They are much improved . We will win this game though.

2 Likes

Assuming Gabbert isn’t in the ICU after Friday. After all, he is a “marked man”!

Not a joke. He truly does have a target on his back now.

If he said nothing, Gabbert still would have had a target on his back. He plays the most important position on the field, QB.

2 Likes

“Take THAT for having confidence in your team and self!”–some big dude on the Canes

LOL OK.

1 Like

He might have had a target but now there’s an unofficial bounty at play.

1 Like

@NESCACDAD Your obsession with this is becoming unhealthy.

2 Likes

That’s all I was saying. No need for unnecessary attention from our QB. I like confidence, just want a quiet confidence. Like actions not words.

1 Like

I wouldn’t put cheap shots past the U (not a small concern given Brett’s injury history) but besides that it can also be a distraction for their defense. Every bit of physical/mental effort placed on “paying him back” for his comments is effort they’re not spending on actual football. A program like Alabama would let their playing do the talking but these are the modern Hurricanes, the poster child for athletic but undisciplined football.

You and I get it. Several others on the board are simply apologists for unwise behavior.

1 Like

Oh for crying out loud.

1 Like

News flash, they are trying to sack the QB.

2 Likes

Looks like we’re only at -5 for this game.

I wouldn’t take that bet. We would have to score a touchdown or a couple of field goals. More likely we get three safeties.

This game looks like it will come down to three things:

1. Play calling
  2. Oline play
  3. DB play (seems like we have a couple or at least one unknown there)

1 AND 2, the orders can be swapped. That said, hard to put any faith in Miami to win or cover at this point…as we have not seen if we even can move the ball.

Line has jumped to -7.

1 Like

Gamenotes are up and I see a bit of shuffling on the OL from last week’s gamenotes. Borders now listed as starting at C with Nank backing him up. John Young starting at LG with Brandon Lawhorn Moore backing him up. Ben Jackson now starting at RG with Vaughn backing him up. Muersch at TE as Coldiron sadly out for the year.