Umass news

My comment was in reference to the post just above mine by Sackman about UConn.

How far is it from St.Louis to Bowling Green Kentucky? lol

1 Like

I am gob smacked by this announcement…I thought UMASS would never agree to leave the A10 in hoops for the MAC. Honestly, I doubt many of their alums will like this move, as they still remember their glory days in hoops.

Obviously, doesn’t move the needle in football much (except for more MAC media exposure in the NE), but it does slightly enhance our hoops profile.

278 miles

1 Like

I always thought WKU was a pretty good fit for the MAC… historically good hoops and football isn’t usually bad, either.

1 Like

Slightly is an understatement. UMass is 9 spots higher than Akron in NET rankings (86 vs 95). If WKU joins, they’d be the third best team behind Akron and Toledo. We’re doubling the number of top 100 teams we have and increasing the number of top 200 teams by 50%, if both fall into place.

Call me delusional, but I actually think UMass football has potential, especially now that they’re back in a conference.

8 Likes

I met Camby at the UMass football game!

1 Like

They probably got tired of trying to fill out a 12 game football schedule every year. Army could do it because they are Army and provide a great home game atmosphere, U Mass- not so much.

1 Like

Yeah Jive I get where they have a nice program, and will immediately be one of our upper tier teams…I was referring more to national profile of the conference, and although UMASS was definitely a NCAA tourney mainstay in the 90’s, they have only been in the tournament once (2014) since 1998.

Will they help the MAC land a second NCAA berth once in awhile…perhaps and if that happens it will certainly be a big boost. Even if not I was saying they improve our hoops profile a bit…remains to be seen how much. All that said with hoops now included I like the move to nab them.

P.S. and I would like to see us snag WKU.

4 Likes

And Army just joined the American for football.

I know, that is why I said they could.

Shane Montgomery is at UMass, right?

ESPN now confirming it as well.

It will be the only MAC game that will not be a bus trip.

I didn’t think the team bused to Buffalo anymore.

1 Like

I think football flies and basketball takes a bus?

They have done both. Covid year they took 6 sleeper buses, last year they flew. Depends on if it was a weeknight or weekend game.

1 Like

The MAC expanding outside its traditional geographic footprint has not lasted in the past. Might as well make pitch to Oregon State & Wazzu.

3 Likes

Staying in current conference for men’s, women’s lacrosse, according to ESPN?

Players fly to buffalo

2 Likes