Transfer Portal - Who Left and Who is Coming to Miami

Seems like WKU has been very successful at bringing in FCS QBs. And the kid Miami of Florida just picked up from WSU came to Pullman from Incarnate Word. BG picked up the kid we played at Long Island. He’s been a serviceable backup for the Falcons.

But I think we need to find out pretty quickly whether Gotkowski is the next Gus or Brett or the next Joe Humphreys. That needs to happen by his Sophomore year.

1 Like

Without weighing in on the merits of any individual in the portal there may be some significant long term advantages to taking relatively few transfers.

Even within the conference Miami does not seem poised to be a big NIL player. Of course that is true in spades for the wider cfb landscape. That will not help in the contest for quality transfers.

Coach Martin has made multiple statements that Miami is an “old school” program that wants to recruit, develop and retain young men. There may be a niche for that where a young man will come to Miami and accept that he won’t play a lot early in his career in the belief that he will play as others graduate. That message and recruiting strategy is undercut when you bring in a transfer to take the athletes place. They accept that you will be trying to bring in the best recruits possible. Upperclassman transfers, however, are different.

4 Likes

I agree that this could well be a good pitch for a program like Miami (or really any G5 that isn’t going to be flush with NIL cash). It’s one thing for Dabo Swinney to refuse to adapt to the new times at Clemson, where he’s got to keep up to compete for regular national title bids. But new playoff format or no, Miami simply isn’t playing the same game as the big boys anymore. Better to lean into an identity we can maintain and that could prove fruitful.

3 Likes

Also unlike Dabo, Chuck has been quite proactive and effective in utilizing the portal to fill gaps with dudes who fill specific needs and fit the culture of Miami football. Last season clearly showed that plugging in guys like Larvadain/Amos with our standard high school recruits is a good recipe. And while we’re unfortunately not immune to players transferring out, I imagine Chuck and our program culture are good at making players more likely to stay here if they’re on the fence.

3 Likes

I just tried my first Reese’s caramel big cup. It was delicious and only 190 calories.

2 Likes

A lot of people don’t realize that Reeces is a health conscious brand. Actually, jokes aside, I was checking out at the grocery store and saw a beef jerky brand trying to position itself as “sports nutrition.” Totally. Like you’re running a marathon and think “I’m starting to cramp…good thing I have this hickory smoked beef stick to keep me moving…”

3 Likes

Relevant to the conversation about playbooks, here’s two videos that break down NFL playbooks

https://twitter.com/ChaseDaniel/status/1788678876904002037?t=1x-UIQFjdCCls9R00-3RVw&s=19

3 Likes

Unrelated to playbooks but… mad respect to Chase Daniel. He made 5 career starts in the NFL and retired with a Super Bowl ring and more than $40 million in career earnings.

4 Likes

Thank you! What 99% of football fans have never been exposed to. Now think about that and then making an audible or a read change. The QB has to know the playbook well enough not just to be able to tell the offense what he has been told to run and make sure everyone is in the right spot but he also has to understand the personnel and have the ability to make proper adjustments.

2 Likes

If coaches knew what they were doing the transfer portal never would have become a reality and what it is today. Same with players - too many kids, families and coaches chase the shiny object.

2 Likes

Eh…No one’s got a crystal ball. I need only look at my stock portfolio to realize even with good information you can still pick duds. Yet in an odd way E*trade et all are the transfer portal for money. You make a pick and sometimes it pans out. (Nvidia) If not, you acknowledge the loss and dump the underperforming. (Lime Lite Networks) Or, you honor the scholarship and keep that loss-leader for years longer than you should. (Verizon!!!). I guess this makes me an honorable coach but a shitty investor!

Also still has legend status at Mizzou without the CTE that he’d get with a career as a NFL starter. Not a bad gig.

3 Likes

https://x.com/farrellportal/status/1788990901576167813?s=46&t=Mwc894NmZi2sl3ixPUgjFA

1 Like

True. But we would still have rampant cheating by the majors. Kids have been paid for a long time but now it’s legal, thanks to some lawyer parents of players who decided to challenge the NIL ban

No one is mentioning Maddox behind Gabbert…he is still on the team, right? I have high hopes for him.

2 Likes

I agree. Feels like some have moved on from him already. Based on what…I’m not sure of.

3 Likes

Well haven’t you heard? There’s at least 12 QBs with playing experience in the portal right now who would love to sign with Miami! Please don’t ask me who these 12 QBs are.

We’re ranked 7th in the CBS post-spring G5 ranking, Toledo 8th:

I saw we landed another great player for ‘25 online. I’ll see if I can’t dig it up.

1 Like

We definitely landed one of the guys seen here: