Toledo men at Miami Tuesday night at 7

Toledo has a long winning streak against us. I don’t actually know how long, and both schools are kind of late getting out their pregame. They are going for their 3rd consecutive MAC regular season championship although they are a game behind both Kent and Akron. They are very good offensively and are actually 3rd in the nation at over 85ppg.The Rockets are 15-6 (6-2) while Miami continues to struggle in close games and have dropped to 7-14 (1-7). in their most recent game on Saturday, they drilled rival Bowling Green before just under 7,000 fans at Savage Arena.

Toledo’s starters:

6-2 JR Ray Jay Dennis 18.5ppg 5.9apg
6-7 JR JT Shumate 18.0ppg 91.8%ft 54%fg 42% threes
6-7SR Setric Milner 15.0ppg 6.2rpg
6-4 SOPH Ra’Heim Moss 8,0ppg
6-2 SOPH Dante Maddox Jr 11.1ppg

6-2 JR Tyler Cochrane averaged 9.2ppg but is out for the year with an injury. Of those 6 guys, I think Moss is the only one who is not a transfer.

In this long losing streak, we have been blown out a few times. While most of the games have been competitive, but Toledo has pulled them out, which has kind of been the story of our team this season.

1 Like

Always look forward to your pregame reports. I appreciate your time and effort.
Thank you.

Dick, I searched my posts from last year and found this gem. I assume it’s accurate within a game or two…

1 Like

#340 in scoring defense, 78.4 per game.

So what happens when the unstoppable force meets the movable object?

1 Like

Visualize Toto flying by the cabin window leaving Kansas in a hurry.

I realize this will be an unpopular post, and likely no one will agree, but I would give Eli Yofan some minutes. He is tough, hustles, and actually doesn’t do a bad job when on the court. Has generally made good decisions, and most importantly, doesn’t turn the ball over. Turnovers continue to be a sore point with Coach Steele. I am not talking major minutes but maybe 5-8.

1 Like

MBB trolling Cool Papa

I

2 Likes

Without any doubt. Just because a person is an invited walk-on shouldn’t mean he never plays or should not be rewarded for his hustle and abilities. For sure, he isn’t a liability on the court.

Agreed Cool Papa - Yofan brings an extra level of energy and intensity on the defensive end. We’re in a rut - he could provide a spark.

Small sample size, but I was most excited about him of the freshman after the first few games. I’m not sure they trust him to run the point - and playing him with Mekhi provides some size issues, but I’m all in favor of mixing it up.

1 Like

Call me naive, but I suspect the coaches have reasons for not playing him that aren’t devious. He’s caught on a team trying to stabilize a rotation and trying to keep players involved. Trying to win is in there too. I loved what he’s shown too, but with more minutes seems to come more turnovers and a tempo that seems kind of manic. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get meaningful minutes tonight and or Saturday. I think Steele needs the right timing and right matchup.

2 Likes

Pretty much everyone on the roster has gotten minutes this year. That alone is kinda awesome.

Miami is putting on a clinic in how to play bad D

1 Like

Well, boys. Here’s a first for me. I’m watching this mess from 32,000 feet - over Kansas on a flight to Phoenix. Going to misconnect with my flight to El Paso so I’ll be spending the night in frigid PHX. Pretty bad first few minutes - almost as bad as the turbulence up here from Winter Storm Mara…

1 Like

Question: Toledo called a time out with 3 seconds left in the first half. What was the point?

Use it or lose it. Each team starts with four timeouts, only three can be carried into the second half.

2 Likes

No lie. I got here at 48-47 miami

4-9 from the line. Sigh.

1 Like

Do we know a different rule about fouling at the end of the game.

3 Likes

Moved the ball better and shot it better on offense.

Had a span with about 10 minutes left where we turned it over 3-4 times and had some bad looks.

Had some head scratching defensive assignments for several possessions under 5 minutes.

Some of our offensive players aren’t great on D. And some of our defensive players aren’t great on O. So we end up with incomplete lineups.

Close again. 5 MAC loses by 5 points or less. But still a long way to go.

2 Likes