Toledo Game Week 2023

Def wins championships

What exactly happend with Brett? Had to pause the game for some family stuff and then I saw AV in when I unpaused it.

Tough day. I have faith in Aveon to carry us forward if that is the situation. He won some important games for the team last year. Letā€™s go!

1 Like

Gut wrenching

1 Like

I was at the game, I had the play on my phone because I was recording it. I canā€™t tell. All things point to a broken leg but weā€™ll know more later

2 Likes

Just getting back from the game. Say what you want about the size of the crowd and the horns, but the audio alert went off on my Apple Watch at a Miami game. That has never happened. Next man up - letā€™s beat OU

3 Likes

Itā€™s a damned shame we needed 500 vuvuzelas to make your alarm go off.

1 Like

Chuck or Welsh called for Brett to run the ball essentially up the middle on second and goal at the three. A few large lineman landed on him. One on his leg. From what I could tell he has a compound fracture just above the ankle. So lower leg. He was taken by ambulance o Mercy Fairfield as Mercy Orthopedics are the team orthopods. Most likely we will need operative fixation. In other words, he is done for the year. Maybe for his career.

2 Likes

I was impressed with the Toledo players coming up to Brett before he was loaded into the ambulance and how quiet they were before. I did see heā€™s posted to Instagram, and Iā€™m taking it as a good sign that he or his family is able to think of social media rather. I think this was almost Matt Edwards injury level of reaction from the crowd.

I feel like if Brett had stayed in the game we might have been able to come back. As it is, I canā€™t tell if its the coaches or AS.

Also, I prefer thunder sticks to vuvuzelas.

1 Like

I do have to add that I believe thereā€™s not a better place to spend a fall day than on Miamiā€™s campus

8 Likes

Looked like compound fracture near the ankle. Iā€™m just going off a picture I saw though. Nothing confirmed.

Thatā€™s what I saw too. Man that poor young man has been through hell.

1 Like

Was traveling by car all day today and of course was recording gameā€¦got home and plugged in my phone and my alerts came on including one from my fellow alum which said ā€œToledo 21-17. Gabbert badly hurtā€.

After that, couldnā€™t even bring myself to watch the game but did view YouTube TV highlights. (Which mercifully didnā€™t show Brettā€™s injury play). One of the ā€œhighlightsā€ showed a poorly thrown pass by Aveon on a little swing pass in the flat.

I know heā€™s a gamer but man, sure wish Chuck had given a couple other guys a shot at showing what they could do throwing the ball. I know heā€™s had another year to improve his mechanics and accuracy, but in the few plays I saw I was not seeing itā€¦at the same time, no other QB has seen the field for us.

1 Like

Chuck calls a designed QB run from the 2 yd. line with an injury prone QB. As @DICK has been saying for two years, Aveon should be the QB when we are inside the 5 yd. line to take advantage of his skill set. In addition, Chuck has only one QB prepared to finish the season and that QB still canā€™t throw the ball effectively.

In the Season Prediction thread in August I jokingly predicted 6-6. Unfortunately, thatā€™s still a possibility.

2 Likes

CM continues to make bad decisions in key games: (1) why was Brett running the ball from the two yard line when we have a 6-2 230 lb running back? Or put AV in to run the ball. CM knows Brett is injury prone- a terrible decision that cost us the Toledo game and maybe 2/3 more losses.-and maybe cost Brett the rest of his career(2) instead of trying to score a TD by pass on our first scoring drive when we were at the Toledo 2/3 yrd line run the ball- the short passing game was not working esp given Toledoā€™s excellent tight man coverage. (3) On third and two late in the 4th Q at mid field we call again a drive killing fade route pass on third down and then punt- AV is not a strong passer and this is a very low percentage completion throw which CM will apparently never understand ( go back and look at the number of critical drives we have wasted and games lost by calling the fade route ). This drive was a 4 down drive and we were moving the ball on the ground ā€“ also AVā€™s strength is the running game - this call and the failure to try to get two yards in two plays on the ground is inexcusable. On top of this we have no backup QB ready to play - AV has had almost no game experience this year and it was clear he was very rusty. As long as CM is our head coach we will never have the type of season our talent could and should achieve.

6 Likes

Going forward this offense can no longer be a quick strike offense itā€™s a ball control offense the read option QB draws and power running. They need to work on getting the balls to receivers in space this is important Miami going forward will see a lot more zone coverage and finding the soft spots in the zone will be key. The 6-10 deep shots per game is no longer viable we must prioritize Time of Possession and complimentary football help the defense out as much as you can.

4 Likes

To follow up on Olafs point. The crowd wasnt as large as I hoped but probably what I expected

But it was the most energized crowd I have seen at a Miami game in about 20 years. From the 5-10k that were remaining in the second half good job

Also by the end of the game I even appreciated the noise makers

2 Likes

Saw this and thought it was worth passing along:

https://x.com/tmooresports/status/1715880108869705863?s=61

5 Likes

What happened to Gabbert is really unfortunate. But this wasnā€™t running around in garbage time of a buy-game blowout loss at Kentucky when he shouldnā€™t have been in the game in the first place. This was second and goal in a huge one-score conference game between two 6-1 teams. Perhaps a different play should have been called, yet I donā€™t find myself nearly as mad at the coaching staff for this as I did earlier incidents.

8 Likes

And to further Chuckā€™s point - an injury can happen on any play. Regardless of the play call or who to blame, thereā€™s a person (and more) that is affected and it sucks that it happens.

3 Likes