Tigers/Guardians Pennant Race Thread

9 wins in a row for the Guardians, longest streak since they set the AL record of 22 a few years ago.

2 Likes

Hard to believe it’s been nearly 7 years already.

Detroit is now 15 games behind first place Cleveland, and 15 games ahead of last place Chicago.

It is hard to believe that the Guardians are 22 games over .500 when you consider that 3 of the 5 starting pitchers that they have been using in the rotation all year have ERA’s over 5. This from a team which has had great starting pitching over the last 30 years. This is undoubtably the worst starting rotation is all those seasons. Logan Allen somehow has an 8-2 record with his over 5 ERA. He does lead the majors in run support.

A great friend and MU grad/frat bro is a long time Chicago Sox fan. He was really struggling this season. However, he has decided to try to enjoy the ineptitude of the Sox and seeing how many ways they can find a way to lose. A great attitude when one’s team is a dumpster fire!
As a lifelong Tiger fan, I’ve been there. Still remember watching/listening to every game of a 19 game losing streak!

Yep, the Guardians offense has really taken off this season - even a good bit of power that had been lacking for years. Amazing start with a first time manager and the youngest roster in MLB (or 2nd youngest - very close last it was quoted). And this great start with 2 of their top 3 starting pitchers out for the first half - Bieber after just 2 starts and Gavin Williams won’t get to see MLB action for the first time this year until next week coming off the IR.

1 Like

Benetti just casually referred to “the first Noel at-bat” during Jhonkensy’s second at-bat.

The White Sox are 40 games out.

1 Like

If the season ended right now, the Guardians would be the top seed in the AL and the Twins and Royals would both get Wildcard spots.

The White Sox are 60 games under .500.

Being a Cleveland sports fan means pain.

1 Like

!

There is the strike three call to Thomas last night that ended the rally in the 8th. Vogt should have gone nuts and got tossed. He needs to fight for his team.

Earlier in the game the ump called him out on another pitch that was just as far off the outside corner. We need an accurate machine to call balls and strikes. The human factor just guarantees everyone gets screwed now and again.

Dick, i agree that the current technology would probably be better than humans umps but, I am not certain. I get very frustrated when the announcers and fans take the superimposed video strike zone as sacrosanct.

First, the strike zone has three dimensions not two. The plate has depth and a ball passing over any part of it can be a strike. Second, I feel that the TV strike zones consistently fail to account for the high strikes that should be called because the batter comes out of their crouch when swinging.

Of course I was a pitcher so I may have a degree of bias. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went to the Cincinnati Open a couple weeks ago, where they’ve switched over to fully automated line calling. Impossible to overstate how much better it is than what they had before. A baseball strike zone isn’t quite as cut and dry as in/out on a tennis court, but the automated systems they have now would be so much better than the status quo. It’s one of those things where you have to fight like hell to force a change, but once you do, it’s inconceivable to do it any other way.

2 Likes

I was a hitter. I always thought the strike zone is determined by the batter’s stance.

It is defined as the batters stance when they prepare to swing at a pitched ball. That has always been interpreted as the batters height when he is emerging from his crouch as he swings. Otherwise batters would have an incentive to exagerate their crouch when taking their stance.

The White Sox are 70 games under.

1 Like

The White Sox lost 13-3 today, outscored by 10. They are now -301 run differential. The modern era record is -349.

On Wednesday afternoon the Royals were about to finish off a 4 game sweep in Cleveland and leave town with a one game lead. Trailing 5-2 in the 7th, the Guardians rallied for 4 and won the game. The Royals then went to Houston for 4. In the first game their first basement Vinny Pasquatino got injured and is out for 4 to 8 weeks ( rest of the season?). He was one of 3 Royals who had between 94 and 97 RBI. They lost all 4 games to the Astros, then the Guardians beat them again today in KC and are now 4.5 games ahead of KC. Amazing how quickly it went from probably being down 1 to KC to now up 4 and a half. Twins are back in second, 3.5 games back.