The Unwatchable NBA

On the old MHT (10 years ago), I recall you saying “I stopped watching the NBA 20 years ago.” :joy:

Oh, and don’t feed the Eddie troll.

I didn’t grow up an NBA fan at all since there was no team in St. Louis, and I’m only casually interested now since my wife/her family are Cavs fans. In my opinion the talent has never been better and they’ve done an exceptional job in marketing, overall the league has been on their way up for awhile now. Adam Silver is running circles around Manfred and Bettman, and even if I’m not a huge fan I can appreciate where things are at even if I prefer college ball.

When returning to Philly each year, the Sixers always take a back seat to the Flyers when we get to a game.

Not even close. Playoffs close the gap.

Also lost interest in the NBA over the years…if watching hoops would rather it be college, especially the tournament.

This whole thread is a massive eye roll… the anti-NBA crowd doesn’t have one hint of any original thought, just recycled talking points and cringy subtext.

2 Likes

Bullseye

It’s worse than that. I can deal with, “I don’t like to watch the NBA.” I get it. Everything doesn’t have to be for everyone. It’s the take that, “I don’t like it so nobody likes it,” that’s trash. You can clearly tell who’s being a snowflake because they don’t like that they aren’t a target market.

1 Like

Agree some things need to change, just like all sports; The value of regular season games, resting players, ASG was trash (realistically who cares), there are also rule changes that need to be made to prevent the game from tilting too far in the offense’s advantage, despite offensive skill being at an all-time high.

@JohnnyMac your favorite hockey player wishes they had a quarter of what the 8th guy on an NBA roster has

What the hell. I’ll delete the comment although it’s still there to be read.

1 Like

‘ItS uNwAtChAbLe’ is a corny way to say you prefer spending your evenings doing something you may enjoy more. It’s ok, maybe you won’t get the attention you want saying you prefer to sit on your couch in stained sweatpants watching your favorite copaganda shows of the 90s

1 Like

Not surprised at your comment. I won’t stoop to your level.

1 Like

Think you’re just a little salty you know you can’t say what you really want to :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Not really. I always say what I “want to.” Especially when I am wearing stained sweatpants.

Any chance they’re the same ones you wore when you pretended to enjoy basketball?

1 Like

Sorry. Have worn different ones to the plethora of Sixers and Pacers games I (we) enjoyed.

1 Like

I deleted my comment because I saw there was, in fact, a personal attack up thread that I’d missed. Nothing snowflakey about saying you were personally attacked when you were personally attacked. So I was wrong there.

3 Likes

I feel personally attacked when Eddie does the box score posts

3 Likes

The retaliation is usually what gets called.

1 Like

So. Anybody need a good book to read?

Yeah, I’m sure the NHL guys all wish they were making more money. That’s natural. But, at some point, I believe the 8th guy on the bench making $20M per year hurts the actual game in the NBA. That is where guys don’t care, don’t play hard, become more powerful than their coach, etc.

I watch sports to be entertained by great athletes competing. I like individual sports where one man controls his entire destiny, but I also like team sports where one group can achieve more than the sum of it’s parts. I used to say basketball was the ultimate team sport, but the NBA has made rule changes (based on marketing decisions) to generate profits, that has turned it away from a team sport and into a more individual skills competition. Hence, it doesn’t come across as a team competiton anymore. That is why it is unwatchable for me, who remembers waaaaay back to life before the 3 point line and “illegal defense” violations.

I get it I sound like the old man yelling at the cloud, but maybe if you are one of the ones in the “target demographic,” you should step back and consider broadening your horizons on what the game used to be like. It was better.

1 Like