The U.S. women’s national team crashed out of the 2023 World Cup

By a hair. Hopefully, they’ll come back strong next time…And sing together!

Article link below. Click on the link or your liver will sing the National Anthem every hour!

Edit to show game story at top instead of refusal to sing National Anthem (by several players).

Weird but not suprising that the goal post was moved to require singing of the anthem as the patriotism litmus test.

3 Likes

“It’s an honor to represent this team, and I’m excited for the future of these girls.”

• Julie Ertz

(Yes…Married to Zach!)

I think Morgan and Rapinoe are way over-rated. They just couldn’t find the back of the net. Pretty sure that coach is gone. Two trips to big tournaments and no wins. I believe that’s a first, so probably will be his last.

And I’d agree with DG on Japan. They are crushing everyone so far.

1 Like

I was always taught the respectful thing to do was stand silently at attention while the anthem was played or sung. Apparently my dad was insufficiently patriotic! Guess someone should tell the Army so they can get their medals back.

2 Likes

Absolute joke of a team. They were too busy fighting for equal pay and forgot how to actually play. And Rapinoe was laughing after the match.

1 Like

Its kinda douchy to trash the country, then hold out your hand for a paycheck from said country, but it is what it is…

2 Likes

Oh great. Lets get lectured by DG on how to think again. If you dont agree with him its because YOU are the problem

2 Likes

Not required. But if they won’t show a little pride in their country, why are they accepting the benefits of being on the team? Just because they don’t have to doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. And let’s not forget it is Megan Rapinoe, and nobody on this board, who has used the team as her own political vehicle and made this an issue.

1 Like

This is my point, if they had all sang the same people chastising them now would be chastising them for not holding little flags or some other made up BS.

2 Likes

I must be missing something. Since I didn’t watch the anthem, what is the problem? Is standing at attention and not singing now a sign of disrespect? Will it now be a problem if we at home don’t put down our beers and sing along ( follow the bouncing ball)? Will teams next have to bring in a choir director to sharpen up their harmonies? I must be missing something, the teams (many) that I played on or coached didn’t as a group sing the anthem nor now that I think of it neither did the crowd. I challenge you all to stand now and just see if you can get all the words right. Actually, the way some sing , it would be more respectful to be silent. Did the soccer (football) ladies decide beforehand not to sing? They may have, but so what. Sorry for the stream of thought here, but I’ve had a long night.

2 Likes

Some people were not happy about Rapinoe’s political statements, nor her short-sighted protests over wages (which were collectively bargained).

1 Like

See ya.

Out of all the things to criticize this team for (and there are many) and people immediately jump to the dumbest arguments. Criticizing a politician you dislike is one of the most American things you can do and not singing the anthem was never a problem until people realized it could be used as a cudgel to attack a team they dislike for political reasons.

5 Likes

The national anthem should be “This Land is Your Land.” Maybe if we heard and sang those lyrics 1000x per year we would be a more tolerant and united country.

2 Likes

Generally, people don’t have an issue with that as long as you/your team performs…its when you fall flat, or air mail a game winning kick and laugh about it as your walk away, when you run into problems.

No, people were still complaining even when they won it last time.

1 Like

They celebrated a draw and laughed at missing a crucial penalty kick. Change will be good.

I’m hoping we right the ship and win the next World Cup. And many more.

3 Likes

Typical stupid Red Wings fan. Real American is the only answer unless you disagree with fighting for the rights of every man (and woman and everyone in between). Fight for what’s right. Fight for your life.

Whatever else happens, the coach needs to go. Never changed up a damn thing even when it was clear it wasn’t working.

1 Like