The Quest for Qatar

Ghana playing to run out the clock to eliminate Suarez rather than playing for the tie to try to advance themselves:

Filing as piece of evidence #4362 that Miami’s sporting culture is a sleeping giant that’s waiting to be unleashed as soon as we have a team worth cheering for.

2 Likes

We know the Miami fan base can make an impact. It just requires a superstar athlete who is a lock to be a lottery pick (Wally), a superstar athlete who is a lock to be a high first round pick and who will go on to win multiple titles at the highest level (Ben), or a team that becomes relevant nationally and is ranked (Wally’s team, Ben’s team, hockey at its peak).

That’s it. It isn’t that difficult to get at least one of those every year, is it?

1 Like

…and beer.

2 Likes

What’s Juergen Klinsmann up to these days?

Wonder how many students go from Brick Street to Millett today?

Mr. Obvious says you can’t leave guys unmarked within 20 yards of the goal… 3 times.

Different feeling than the 2014 knockout loss. Back then, without Tim Howard that’s not even a game. Today, the US were dangerous and much of the time looked the part of a top 10 squad.

No qualifying for 2026, but I wish there was and that it started tomorrow.

1 Like

We have beer

1 Like

Brazil in trouble.

1 Like

Uh, so apparently Grant Wahl (probably the most prominent American soccer writer) dropped dead at the Argentina vs Netherlands game today. There was a big incident earlier in the tournament when he was barred from entering a stadium for wearing a rainbow shirt and he’s also been covering some of the shadier parts of the tournament in his reporting. 48 years old with no existing health problems. His family is openly accusing the Qatari government of assassinating him.

Wow!

It wouldn’t shock me if the Qatari “government” is involved, or quasi-involved. They support several nefarious entities.

I believe that’s Grant on the left.

American soccer journalist Grant Wahl dies at 48 in Qatar (espn.com)

Might want to read this first before jumping to any conclusions.

3 Likes

I was at the hoops game. Would estimate somewhere between 0-25, though not sure all those students had been to Brick to make it a true Daily Double.

No conclusion-jumping. Just stating that Qatar is known for sponsoring terrorism, and their treatment of the LGBT community. And on and on and on…

Thus, It wouldn’t shock me if the Qatari “government” is involved, or quasi-involved.

It would shock me. Qatar assassinating one of many people being critical of them seems far less likely than a 48 year old dying of illness. He had cold symptoms for over two weeks and gotten medical attention for what he thought was bronchitis.

4 Likes

His body was brought back to the US and the autopsy found it was an aneurysm. One of the other concerns that had arisen was that there was no AED available and he had to be taken to the hospital in an uber instead of an ambulance, but apparently based on the autopsy findings it wouldn’t have mattered even if Qatar did have proper accommodations.

Glad it was able to get quickly sorted out, but it really speaks to the two bit nature of this tournament that these things would even be credible concerns.

4 Likes

An aneurysm at 48, ugh. Wahl was a great writer.

Indeed.