Thanks to YellowNumber5, HawkTalk has been invited to the next Field of 68 call!

I don’t get this - it’s basically the same thing as the prior coach “excellence fund”. They both only refer to better food and travel comforts for the team. How does that “advance Miami Basketball by investing in the resources needed to ensure Miami basketball can remain as a premier program in the MAC and compete on the national scale” I don’t think adding steaks instead of burgers to the training table will achieve that result. How about a statement concerning facilities, salaries, scheduling - then I would be more interested.

1 Like

I would feel better and more valued if my pregame meal was steak instead of Burger King. You expecting an audit of your donation?

1 Like

Did you know the athletic department gave basketball student athletes the smallest meal plan? So get out of here with burgers. Burgers would be an upgrade.

I keep seeing “get them in the weight room.” Weight room doesn’t help without protein. Let’s get to burgers, then we can talk steak.

Spending money is a personal thing. For me, I had my own baggage as to why I’d not contribute. But, Jive made a point that resonated with me: this coach and staff are doing everything they can to turn this thing around and are doing so with less resources than others we aspire to pass. I don’t like the idea of being nagged for perpetual donations so a go-fund-me seemed like a simple way to make a small difference that with the help of others could add up. I guess it’s the simple fact that I miss seeing MU slay giants and always felt like mens hoops was the fastest way to galvanize the community since we are in the middle of arguable the biggest hotbed of hoops in America. I also feel like it’s the fastest sport you can turn around. There are only 15 players. I don’t know if that helps convince you, but I hope maybe it does. Either way, good to see MU fans on this forum. Grassroots interest is the first step to rebuilding any brand.

3 Likes

I don’t have an issue with helping the players with better food and travel; it’s just that it takes more than that to accomplish the mission statement that I recited above from the website. I have given for decades to Miami Athletics. It’s just that we need a bolder commitment from both the Athletic Department and the Administration to reflect that they are truly on board with specifics on accomplishing these goals.

3 Likes

@southerskin Fair enough. Then your argument is with the Athletic Department and the Administration, not with a few fans trying to help in a small way.

1 Like

Anyone who has contributed to MU athletics over the years (and there are a lot on this forum) both have my admiration and see the purpose. Hats off to you and others like you.

Ps, why not come listen to the coach on Feb 1st and maybe you can get some answers to questions.

1 Like

Why don’t you ask Steele how committed he is and see what him and Sayler are working towards? I think it’s silly that we’ve had a new staff for 6 months and there’s already a question around what they’re doing.

2 Likes

That is correct Grumpy :laughing:

1 Like

I would love to meet Coach Steele - he is impressive. However, I am still working and live a good distance away.

1 Like

I’m a bit confused… Is meeting him on zoom and asking him these questions not the same result?

1 Like

Oh sorry - I thought it was an in-person event. I will check that out.

2 Likes

Bumping this back up for any members who may have missed it.

1 Like

Much thanks. We don’t need a king’s ransom to make a huge difference for this team. We are super close to breaking the 2k mark. Someone out there will put us over the top! Please help if you can and no pressure either way.

And we are at 2k! Jim Cook just put us over the mark. And, we still have a week before the call to get even more. I think the campaign goal was set at 5k. It’s all wonderful. And I think it shows the passion we all have to see this thing get turned around. Hawk Talk rocks!

1 Like

All hail James (Jim) Cook

3 Likes

Apologies for messing your name up (I fixed it) but thanks again for helping to contribute. Team will be better.

I am in - will contribute this morning - Southerskin and others who have not contributed- please reconsider - this is a very small ask and yes there are lots of issues re the Athletic Dept but we have to start somewhere and just complaining is a not an option

1 Like

I’m only replying to this to surface the thread for those who haven’t seen it or had a chance to donate. There’s still a little time before our call with the coach so here’s my pitch:

“Friend, I admire you. You have better hair than I do. Have a winsome smile. Own a handsome dog who doesn’t piss on your rug 24/7. And unlike me aren’t rocking a muffin top whilst trying to wear dated looking skinny jeans you really should be trading up for a bigger size. Thanks pandemic! Anyhow, because you’re you, you are winning in more ways than you can count, so why not donate a couple bucks to our tiny men’s hoops fundraiser. Look, it’s money you’ll like squander at Houlihan’s on their all-you-can-eat jalapeño poppers so you know I’m doing you a favor here by even mentioning it. Please help us out. Because soon, with any luck, men’s hoops will start winning on a level we haven’t seen in some time. Next time we reach the sweet 16, I’m gonna update it on my resume. “Reached the sweet 16 as a MU sports fan.” You can depend on it!”

Ps, here’s the link to donate:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/miamihawktalk-collection-for-mbb-excellence-fund or directly here: Miami University - Make a gift to Athletics – Your gift

3 Likes

We’ve cracked the 2K mark, but are still less than halfway to our goal. Let’s keep it going!

1 Like