Thank You, Coach Kumar, and Good Luck

It’s was a treat seeing what you brought to Oxford. The Buckeyes are fortunate to get you, and you are fortunate to get the big bucks they can offer.

4 Likes
1 Like

First.
IMG_3240

11 Likes

Damn, you’d figure she’d want to head somewhere with better weather, not worse….

I said that in the other thread. Just stay at Miami for a couple more years doing what she was doing, and the SEC would have come calling.

If I’m finding the right numbers from Googling, the base salary for Ohio State’s outgoing head coach was more than double Kumar’s base salary. Since the SEC can surely find her just as easily if she turns Ohio State around, I can see why she’d want the huge salary increase right away.

3 Likes

The plight of a mid-major. Just enjoy the short rides.

Maybe we land a great coach here. No reason we can’t get the next up and coming assistant.

1 Like

I think our last three coaches went Ohio State, Penn State, and now Ohio State again. All were obviously successful.

1 Like

Great job Coach Kumar. Thanks for bringing us the excellence here. Wishing you the best.

1 Like

Considering the old coach at OSU was fired for barely being above .500 with a cupcake schedule I wouldn’t consider her tenure a success

Looked up the Big Ten champs. OSU has won it twice (one shared) in over 40 years. It’s a dead-end program. I don’t care how much she’s making. She would have been much wiser to stay at Miami–where she knows she can win–and wait for an SEC or other top warm weather program to come calling. Odds are she just disappears at Ohio State…like I don’t know…maybe some other former Miami coach.

1 Like

I’m saddened by the news, but in a way, not. We have the *potential (*key word) to be the Gonzaga of men’s basketball in softball. I would argue Field Hockey is there now, and I would also argue Star Wars is The Wizard of Oz in Space. (And so too would many scholars.) Look, here’s my damn point. Why does it stop here? The Penn State coach, OSU coach, and now departed MU coach built this. Maybe we can become a marquis job. (typo alert)
Sorry I said damn earlier. I should have said doggone. Or shit balls. Whatevers. I admired this coach and what she built so I am a little sad as I said. AD, hit a home run here and hire the next big thing.

2 Likes

Our last 3 coaches got hired by Big Ten school’s because of the success of their program at Miami. Each coach added onto the program. We have in place a lot of things that other MAC softball programs don’t. Another great hire and success can continue. That is not an automatic though. Our athletic history shows that. We have had long runs of great/good coaches in sports that continued on until the wrong hire or a change in administrative support caused a decline. The same can be seen at other Universities.

Regarding your comment, I was referring to their success here.

4 Likes

Would you say no to a job with double the salary in a major city?

That depends, Love. How much is it worth to take on the additional pressure of building a program up, competing against a higher tier of opponents, living in a metropolitan area with a commensurate higher cost of living… my list could go on. At the end of the day the question is, How much money is enough, and at what cost to mental health? I’d think long and hard before accepting the new gig, unless earning big money is, in fact, the goal, at which point I’d say she probably already had one foot out the door when she arrived in Oxford. She could have stayed a RedHawk as long as she wanted without fear of being cut loose if a season or two lacks great results. Not that Oxford is a dream location for a young woman, but again, how much is lifestyle worth? I wish her tons of success, and I really hope she’s found what she is going after in Columbus.

8 Likes

It depends. If it was a job where my prospects for expected success were very slim (early termination) and that it could severely damage my long term prospects to truly rise to the top of my field, I would probably pass. That’s what the Ohio State job is. She should have stayed, kept winning and waited for a true national championship caliber program to come calling. Penny wise but pound foolish is the old saying.

1 Like

Why do you all seem so sure she can’t build a national title contender in Columbus?

5 Likes

Despite my agreeing with Hawk99, I have no doubt she is capable of building a contender. She has shown the ability to identify talent, recruit,and develop nat’l caliber players. What she must contend with is facing southern pitching in the NCAA. That, and being a “northern” school, which means while OSU is in an indoor practice facility, many top programs will practice much sooner and much later outdoors. And vital to get top pitchers away from the top powers.
Just please, coach–don’t take our returning young players. We have the nucleus of another very good year. If all of them stay.

1 Like

I have lived my life thinking like you do. Having enough money to live your life the way you want to is important. But so many things are more important to a good life than just constantly chasing money. I guess maybe there are some people who can only be happy doing that, but I don’t get it.

You want to live your life coaching, get into a position where you can be successful and you get to work with players and people you enjoy, it really is not going to get any better than that. At any level it takes the same kind of effort and the rewards of winning with the players that you coach is the same. It doesn’t make you any happier to win the Big 10 than it does to win the MAC. Do you love your job? What about the people you work with? Can you be successful where you are? What do you really want out of life?
Do you need to move to get what you want, or do you already have it here?

4 Likes