Student section woes

Miami’s biggest issues when it comes to game attendance is: 1. Winning and 2. Location. Theres a reason why athletics are an afterthought to students when the venues are at the a$$ end of campus away from dorms.

1 Like

For those who didn’t read this closely enough, here’s Garrett Morris from the New York School for the Hard of Hearing

from Imgflip Meme Generator

2 Likes

Wait when I raised this regarding Millett and cenrally locating a basketball facility I was told it wasn’t a far walk! :grinning:

I personally didnt mind walking from Morris, but Miami isn’t going to cultivate casual student interest.

1 Like

Freshman year at Dennison for me, and then three years at my fraternity house, 400 E. Vine. Never missed a football, basketball or hockey game in 4 years.

4 Likes

Other schools have busing systems for arenas that are far away but it’s too expensive for us. You’d have to buy out a few of the BCRTA buses, which probably wouldn’t happen unless a donor was very generous and specified the money was to go towards that. Even then it’s hard to maintain for a whole year.

2 Likes

Maybe just maybe we need a…

1 Like

Miami has record low numbers of in-state students. And while I have a few problems with that for various other reasons, I think it should be beneficial in developing a student following for athletics as there are definitely fewer kids who grew up rooting for the Buckeyes who would rather sit in an Uptown bar watching them play than attend the Miami event in person. Somehow, I don’t think the Illini or Boilermakers have that same pull over the out of state kids.

1 Like

Busing students across town really isn’t a cost effective COA for Miami. If Miami would prioritize Athletics, I’m sure they’d be able to figure out some ways to entice students across campus. As it stands, they don’t.

3 Likes

Uptown is a long way from the dorms, too. Athletics facilities are generally at the periphery of campuses at most schools. A couple of exceptions I’m aware of are Notre Dame and the ultimate central campus field - Wesleyan University.

IMG_5672

1 Like

cc @GuardHawk for that one

Lindsay Sparks has got to start doing better.

2 Likes

Theoretically yes, but even non-Ohio students can have allegiances of their own to Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. depending on where they grew up and who their family roots for.

Lindsay is either incredibly overworked or incredibly unresponsive or perhaps both. Last year I had a similar challenge with my “on the field” events that my wife bought me. But maybe a better use of that $500 to 10 students for each game would be to hire an employee

Doesn’t the current bus system schedule cover most if not all athletic events?

Western Campus/North Loop Bus Route | Fares & Info | BCRTA (butlercountyrta.com)

1 Like

Do these emails/facebook posts ever reach Sayler’s desk? I’m always leery of anectodal stories from perpetual complainers, but this hits close to home for many of us. Much as I’m tired of hearing about “changing the culture”, here’s a good place to try.

1 Like

They’re donations specified for that purpose I don’t think they’ll be rerouted

Yes. A lot of people don’t know/don’t use it. Renting them out would only be shuttles to north and MET quad as opposed to the full loop. Just reach the farthest dorms

Not really. It goes one direction (clockwise from Millett into campus), so it’s a long time to ride around if you’re starting from campus and going to a game, and if you’re leaving a game you need to hope it lines up with the right time for a bus.

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect someone to get on from North quad and ride it all the way around.

If you’re a student and you live on Western or South quad you’re only on for half the route.

Edit:

From Clawson Hall it’s a 21 min bus ride or a 28 minute walk.

1 Like