Stadiums...facilities

I was told years ago (by an admin person supposedly “in the know”) that there were structural issues preventing the full buildout of the West stands at Yager…and this has prevented the adds of boxes, one or more larger and more accommodating elevators, etc…

To add to my last post, the admin person was a person in ICA who was involved pretty deeply in the Graduating Champions Campaign and it was in the relatively early stages of that raise that he mentioned the structural issues to me. Needless to say, the costs of the fix were huge both in absolute terms and relative to the GC other priorities…though I do not recall the exact number.

Are the East Stands an option for luxury boxes and/or an enhanced press box?

3 Likes

How about Charlie Coles vs John Calapari at UK a late comeback win by UK? ( “ Why don’t you ask John with 5/NBA picks how Miami was leading UK late? ) classic

4 Likes

I know suites are the end goal, but we don’t need some ungodly amount of money to fortify the west stands and build suites. Something like the New Belgium porch at Colorado State in the south end zone can provide a premium experience at a relatively lower cost, even adding some high-top tables up by Gunlock with an all-you-can eat and drink package would provide a different stadium experience and revenue stream.

1 Like

It’s dated 2020…

https://www.miamiathleticfund.org/s/916/gradchamps/interior.aspx?pgid=8289&gid=1

The New Belgium Porch is located in the north end zone of Canvas Stadium. The area boasts two premium bars and a drink rail just yards away from Sonny Lubick Field.

Premium built-in bars
New Belgium Flair
Outdoor space
House sound
Wired and/or wireless microphone(s)
6 Outdoor TVs
Complimentary Wi-Fi
Capacity: 1,200

Rental rates for the New Belgium Porch include: space rental for 5 consecutive hours, built-in audio-visual, set-up as-is without furniture. Minimum food and beverage purchase of $500 is required.

Evening & Weekend - $700

I also recall New Belgium Corporate kicking in something like $ 4 MM just to secure the space…but the primo location plus TV exposure obviously was felt to be worth the investment.

Our granddaughters high school had their homecoming in that stadium.

My wife and I have been in Canvas Stadium on several occasions…we we in the Indoor Club for games and attended a few social functions there. Finally, the second half of night games got to us…and then we relocated to Florida.
The “Porch” was very popular with fans as was the Field Club which was sponsored by the Ortho & Spine Center of the Rockies. Overall the facility is excellent----shows what $220 MM+++ naming rights will get you.

2 Likes

I’ve ever gotten the impression Miami has ever had the dynamic leadership in ICA to drive a goal like renovating Millett

1 Like

Here’s the last public announcement re: Millett Hall renovation

April 13, 2017

6 years ago

2 Likes

Hey Nick give it time. It’s only been 6 1/2 years!

3 Likes

For those brave ones making it to UMass will post two pictures. One ins from 2019 of the south endzone concessions area, which has beer, some comfy think cushion chairs, small high round tables and a TV at each end and viewing of the game from the end zone. The second is off-season with the redone field from the Hunt Hospitality patio in the north end zone.

Been awhile since posted, but one option was suites in Cradle end and upper east stands…press box would just stay and I assume be renovated (if not already).

Doubt the “Cradle” portion would ever take place now…who knows. Statue portion is set, way back.Would probably increase capacity to 30K +.

Actually, I thought that was the plan. (Suites in the end zone). Been to games at WVU (including our tie game there in 92), and that’s what they have…suites and gathering places for alums in the end zone above the field.

Much like you could have at Yager, you walk by conditioning and workout areas when you go into the facility. When I went w my bro in law, a season ticket holder (who was a WVU grad and law degree graduate), we had a buffet luncheon and then could walk out to balcony overlooking the field and watch warmups…was really cool and memorable.

2 Likes

One key point to note: with the inflation of the past few years the cost of labor and materials has gone up significantly versus pre-COVID norms. Southwest Ohio isn’t the most expensive place to buy goods and services for a project, but for something like suites or the Millett renovation it’s a major issue that makes it a lot harder to fund otherwise.

That rendering also shows the upper deck that would be added to the newer side of the stadium.

Who’d pay for premium seating in an endzone to a MAC football game?

1 Like

Is there beer and pizza?

1 Like

Dunno but my point was that I thought that was the place they int nded to put it, or as mentioned by others perhaps on top of the newer east stands.

Actually, you could kinda do both w the individual suites atop the east stands and a Red and White White type donor’s for pre game meal in an end zone facility.

1 Like