Stadiums...facilities

Oh yeah, we couldn’t do what Duke did since that stadium is like a bowl. Definitely could take some pointers from them (and others). Maybe at the very least, add a grassy area to where those table tops are, might be a more inviting area? There’s just too much concrete around!

Now. to get Miami to schedule a trip to Duke! (And NC State and back to UNC of course)

1 Like

We need a big donor to accomplish any of these ideas otherwise nothing is going to happen. Miami just doesn’t have funds to spare.

2 Likes

It’s not an act.

Most schools borrow to build premium seating using pre-sale revenues to fund. I have to believe with the recent success of the program that there may never be a better time to design, pitch and sell premium seating options. Many opportunities at Yager from cheap and easy (field level) to expensive (club / suites above visitor side).
The Starbucks Suites (after today he has a nice chunk to give) and Chipotle Club (gift of his old appreciated stock) sound good.

1 Like

Love the MAC but if we’re so broke…why are we never looking to change conferences to get more $$.

1 Like

Yea, I’m sure there are at least 2 or 3 larger conferences looking at Miami’s attendance numbers, media market, and saying “Let’s extend an invite!”

6 Likes

Top 20 in country for ultra rich alums. Admin / leadership has never wanted to play with the big boys. Market size is fine (Cindy & Dayton) - issue has been commitment.

6 Likes

And alumni perception of ourselves is also an issue. So is the long-term local perception.

2 Likes

Don’t delete your posts…it ruins the show.

Also it’s hard to feel bad that they don’t have money when there hasn’t been a collective set up.

1 Like

I’m not sure what a collective has to do with having the capital for more facilities upgrades?

And what conference should Miami apply to and what exactly do we bring to the table?

It has everything to do with that. How do you think UC renovated Nippert…private funding. We need money to pay players and facility upgrades.

Collectives fund NIL….not facilities

UC wrote a bunch of debt to get the money for their overall plan

And how would adding to our FB facilities, when they’re at the top of our peer group and are not fully utilized, help Miami athletics? It’s like a developer building a second apartment building next to the first one that is 36% occupied

5 Likes

Agree - at this point MU could add premium seating for revenue but beyond that they need to win and win big (fill stadium, travel well, etc.). Millett stinks but I really don’t think that keeps them out of a conf. AAC is best MU could hope for and not sure if that’s realistic without the above and movement out of AAC. Top AAC schools made ~$9M last yr - decent delta from MAC but prob $1-2M+ would be negated by higher travel costs, so maybe a true ~$5M/yr increase from MAC rev. Helps but not earth shattering.

4 Likes

Good logic FS….i agree

Unfortunately, Miami doesn’t bring anything to the table to interest another conference, imo.

I bled for this school. I get choked up recounting Dr Shriver’s speech at my recruiting dinner in 1988. I owe a lot to Miami and want to see it do well.

But first I want to see it survive, which means getting as cost efficient as possible. And (unfortunately) killing to UC game was the first step. We can’t hang with the big boys who are absolutely destroying amateur athletics….so we should stop trying to do the things only they can afford……including a NIL collective

Regarding collectives, it’s kind of a me too at this point. Everyone has one (even many D 2,3 & NAIA). It could help keep kids from going to other G5 as a last ditch offer, but I like Saylers approach using Alston $. More flexibility because you can pay out at graduation and the school controls unlike collectives. My kid had a chance to go to bigger name schs with collectives but not Alston and chose Alston $ sch over them for security.

2 Likes

YSU (yes, the Penguins) collective over $400K last yr and plan to be over $500K this…

Not saying MU has to play this game but newsworthy nevertheless.

2 Likes

That’s all I was trying to say earlier is Miami needs to play the NIL game.

Miami needs to play the game or start preparing for D3. Not saying that we need to play it at the Big Ten level, but we do need to play it at a level to stay competitive with peer MAC schools.

If Miami pays full Alston $ that’s $500K+ / yr for FB alone. The disadvantage is it’s a flat amt for every player, so you can’t give the QB more than a reserve guard. But you also can hold to the end to ensure they stay so you’re not throwing it away. It’s a nice chunk for G5, but not close to what the top players are getting. That’s where the collective could provide incremental value.

2 Likes