Spring Game 2024

Who’s gonna provide updates on the scrimmage today?

QB’s are Hesson and incoming freshman. Kopp and Brett not in pads.

2 Likes

Why is Kopp out? How is Brett moving around? Does he have a brace on or anything?

Did we kick any FG today?

Kopp tweaked his knee the other day. Nothing major. Brett is walking around fine.

Yes

2 Likes

Brett and Kopp did 7v7

Brett looked good throwing in the 7x7. However, it looked to me like he is still limping when just walking around. He still has four months of rehab/recovery but I was hoping he would be moving better. Nothing wrong with his arm.

2 Likes

Observed Brett afterwards headed to the locker room and he started jogging to catch up with a teammate. Definitely limping. In my opinion Gotkowski outplayed Hesson. Brett and Kopp both threw during 7 on 7. Dom and McLaughlin split PK duties. No clear winner.

4 Likes

There was a lot of kicking done. Dzioban appears to be running first right now as the placekicker with Kellen McLaughlin also getting a lot of reps. They both have good legs and were accurate. They both showed the capability to hit 50 yard FG. Dzioban was also punting along with Bevelhimer.

How do you replace the Groza winner? However, I think both these guys have the leg to do the job. The question with placekickers is can they do it under pressure in big time games?

4 Likes

90% is physical and 50% is mental. You can’t think and kick at the same time.

• Yogi
4 Likes

I thought Gotkowski looked good. He got rid of the ball quickly except one time when he took too much time and ended up with what would have been a sack. He also threw a couple nice long balls.

Josh Riinger got some reps at RB and it appeared they specifically wanted to give him some running touches which are rare in a controlled scrimmage.

Another early enrollee, Jackson Pons, also saw some action at safety with what looked like the second unit…

2 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

Hesson and Gotkowski both got two drives. Spring ball means nothing. No way Gotkowski knows 10% of the offense yet. Hesson will be #2 Kopp 3, Gotkowski 4.

1 Like

Coach, why do you say that? Brett started ss a freshman right. Got all summer to cram. Weirder things have happened.

3 Likes

How did the new transfers look?

I thought Andre Johnson, the WR transfer from Arizona State looked good.

2 Likes

Gotkowski will be #2 going into fall camp.

1 Like

It’s going to be a tough balancing act for the staff. In the old days Gotkowski would redshirt. Now, if he feels he is better than the other backups and gets passed over for #2 he could jump in the portal. Compounding the situation is that Gabbert is unlikely to make it through the season unscathed so we need the best option at QB2, regardless of class.

2 Likes