Spring Game 2024

Brett is the only one that caught on to the plays that fast. He is a coach’s son in a QB family. There’s no other “Gabberts” on the team except Brett. Henry has a good grasp of the offense, Kopp does not. Gotkowski knows zip at this point and won’t likely get reps this summer. But, what do I know?

1 Like

Sometimes not much…

2 Likes

Gotkowski has been with the program for, what, like 3 months? And yet you’re already positive he has no chance of being on the same level as Brett mentally? Give me a break. He obviously has enough drive to finish high school early and enroll for spring ball. With a three month head start, and a chance to learn from Brett and Gus this summer, I think he’ll have a solid handle on the offense by week 1. At least enough to compete for the #2 spot. Btw, was Brett’s dad really a coach? Thought he was in sales or something like that.

4 Likes

Well, you did famously declare last fall that we couldn’t win with Aveon… :wink:

I think that might not be accurate. Ballcoach said Aveon was tough as nails and could execute as a game manager if given the right sets. At least that’s my recollection.

3 Likes

It was after Ball State and before the MACC, looking ahead to what happens if Brett didn’t return.

2 Likes

Was anyone at the scrimmage yesterday to say who was better between Henson or Gotkowski?

I thought Gotkowski looked better. Moved the offense.

2 Likes

That’s funny. We didn’t. We won with killer defense, the best special teams in the nation and a power 5 RB.

3 Likes

They looked the same in limit action. Just like most of them do at Spring practice. The only reason Gotkowski got extra reps is because Kopp was out.

Yep. I also said we would win 10+ games. That was in December’22 when a lot of this board was calling for CM to be fired.

1 Like

Shouldnt Hesson be miles ahead of him though based on all the comments you have made before about how hard the offense is?

3 Likes

Thought both QBs looked good but hard to tell who was better. The format was non-traditional and had Hesson with 1’s vs 1’s and Gotkowski with 2’s vs 2’s. Depth appears to continue to improve at QB. Depth at receiver is also impressive, lots of good skill and different body types. Virgil and Weaver both appear to have big play potential with different skill sets

1 Like

What did the new RB transfer from Purdue look like?

Hard to tell much of anything with the run game because it was two hand touch. I did hear from a parent that he has looked good this spring.

2 Likes

Sure. But we won with all of the guys.

Apparently he entered the portal 2 days ago…

Mondrell Dean has entered the transfer portal

1 Like

Downing was the back I was referring too

2 Likes

I think On3 got this on wrong. Dean showed up on their site as a transfer from Purdue to Miami last fall but he never appeared on our Spring Roster. Downing was shown as a transfer from Purdue in December and is on our roster.

I believe Dean committed but it seems like he never ended up making it to Oxford.

2 Likes